Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this question has been asked before but I can't find the thread and I am not sure if this is in the right section so go ahead and switch if need be. I am wondering if a grill off a '92-'93 Dodge will bolt on to the front of my '90 RC. I would like to get the newer look without trying to find a newer RC. Thanks for the help.

P.S.-also does anyone know were I might be able to find one without scrounging through a salvage yard.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yes, it can be done, but if I remember correctly, you need to change the whole radiator support because the headlights are higher or something on the new ones. One of the Mopar magazines did this swap and outlined the whole procedure and what parts are needed. I can't remember which magazine it was, though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
mopar muscle did this swap several years ago and the radiator support does need to be changed. instead, mm cut the support and welded in some new headlight buckets. truckpartsdiscount.com and acme have the parts. i'll find the issue and let you know tomorrow

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
You'll either need to swap your core support out to a 91-93 core support (no one makes repro ones, so it'll have to be a junkyard support), or modify the one that's in your truck. The placement of the head lights and marker lights are different than the earlier years. From what other's have told me (I haven't done this swap myself, but have contemplated it a lot), if you have decent cutting/welding skills, it's not that bad of a job. You'll also have to swap out the valence panel (the panel right below the grill/behind the bumper).

·
Registered
13 Posts
On the 92-93 rad supports there is an actual plastic bucket for the headlights, which moves the lights down and into the center more. It also gets rid of the "built-in" bucket on the older trucks. You can actually just bolt the old grill on but you would lose some of your headlights (about 1/2" on 2 sides). Unfortunately I found this out the hard way when I had to reconstruct my '92 RamCharger and no one carried a support for less than $750 (dodge).
Also, if you get a grill get an actual dodge one because the body shop I was working with purchased an aftermarket grill and it didn't even say dodge (just didn't look right).

·
Registered
34 Posts
mopar muscle did this in 1999. the final product is in the october 99 issue. you can find a repro support.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
lovemydodge said:
mopar muscle did this in 1999. the final product is in the october 99 issue. you can find a repro support.
If you know of a company who makes repro 91-93 core supports, please post a company name, website, phone number, etc. I looked high and low for awhile and could never find one.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Dodge makes the support, last time i looked but it might be all gone now since it's 2004 , but you might check.

The dodge letters aren't part of the grill on the 91-93 grills there extra, they are available from dodge at $20 each letter, they can keep them i know what it is.

By the time your done buying the grill shell, the grill inserts (4), the marker lights, headlight doors you will be at over $300 if you get them all new, not including the rad support, now if you can weld and measure correctly and fab a few mounts then you don't really need the rad support, you also have to clearance for the new marker lights

1 - 9 of 9 Posts