Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a grey smoke cloud coming from my 77 powerwagon, does ne1 know what that means? it was backfiring and i replaced the plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor and the back fire went away but i still get this grey cloud and under the cloud on the ground is black crap all over my driveway

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Have you checked your radiator to see if your loosing coolant? You may have a blown head gasket. Also check the oil for water in that too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no water in the oil and not lossing coolant

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Do you have power brakes? I have seen the diaphram in the booster crack and the vacuum sucks the break fluid from the resuvore into the engine doing that, may check the brake fluid level and the hose to the booster to see if it wet inside.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Also, as a general rule, blue smoke = burning oil, White smoke = coolant or water vapor, black smoke = rich fuel mixture.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what bout gas could that do it? cuz when i was removing the bumper i could smell gas really bad! also what does the evap can do cuz it aint there

ps i just bought the truck yesterday

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Could have oil in the gas or bad gas that is almost turning to varnish. Gas does have a short shelf life, I'm not partically sure exactly how long it does stay "Fresh" but don't think its more then a month depending upon your location and the season of the blend! That is why a stablizer is recommended for gas to "sit" in a tank over the winter or the summer period. You may want to burn it off real quick on the highway or if its to bad drain it and re-fill with fresh gas. You should be able to dilute with other gas not have a problem burning it. Be sure to try some dry gas with it and after that old stuff burns off. Run fresh gas in the tank and a fuel system cleaner. You may also have a bad fuel pump diaphram and oil from the crank case may be getting sucked in with the gas. I know that one is way out thier but, still within the scope of probability.

As for that strong gas smell, was it in the front? Do you have a vapor canister in your truck? If so you may be smellin that thing, they can discharge a nasty gas vapor oder when the charcole (SP) is shot or out of them from a crack or something. Check the canister if you have one, if not check the vapor return lines and vacuum lines too. A vacuum line may be cracked some place on the valve cover and sucking in some leaking oil from a valve cover gasket? That would prolly account for the back firing too, vacuum leaks lean out the engine fuel air ratio.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, the tank was pretty much empty when i got it, i mean i almost thought the engine was about to die so i thew in a couple gallons, i later put in 7ish gallons of fresh premium (the middle one what ever that is) in it.

ya the smell was in the front, i think i might have a problem with taht cuz there is a place for the canister but no can! The guy gave me a box of stuff and i started going threw it and BINGO found the can, didnt know if it needed it or not so i just threw it back in there for now. guess i will have to dig it out and put it in huh? lol

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Might want to change the oil, and the pvc valve and the pvc breather, could be causing it too. If the last guy didn't take all that off too! What else is going on with it? Give us some details of what you have, is it stock, stripped or what?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
heres what i know about it, its a 360, its got headers, dual exhaust all the way, i believe he pretty much stripped it cuz the vap can was in a box, along with something that looks like a fuel filter with tubes kinda but i think it might be something that connects to the front of the intake manifold, it has a crome air cleaner, caburator, the inside is completely torn out, no carpet, no radio, just the bare minimum, the floor looks like it was lined with like tar or somethingit not that bad of shape on the outside but in it its pretty bad.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
How many miles? Was that engine a rebuild or the orig? You should pull a compression test an a leak down to see if your problems are not internal? Sometimes folks that don't really know whats going on blame poor performance on vacuum lines and polution controls, in actuallity its the engine going south and they still take off all that other stuff. Is any kind of breather or PVC set-up still intact on the engine?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok it says there is 720,000 something like that, he did tell me it was rebuilt when he bought it but who knows when that was! what all is in the compression test? u need the little tool dont u? there is a breather on the valve cover with a tube that goes back to the intake if u mean that but other than that i dont know will go look in a sec!

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Since it is smoking grey and slobbering splatters of black soot out the exhaust (at least that's what I think you mean in your description above) one problem may just be the carburetor flooding.

Does it seem to "load up" (run rougher and stinkier) when you let it idle ?

And for the strong gas smell up front, either carb flooding and/or vapor canister line fumes would do that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
o and it does have a pcv valve it rattels but there is oil on it

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think u might be on to something there with the carberator, is there ne way of fixing it from flooding? or just buy a new one?

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Well, if you are feeling mechanically inclined, you can buy a rebuild kit, follow the directions, and do it yourself...

Lotsa people do just buy a rebuilt or new carb, but the rebuild kit is good practice, because afterwards, you know how it should be...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
but other than that theres no way to fix it?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i dont know havent ran it that long yet, too loud lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts