Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1985 D150 shortbox, 318 A833
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, new member here.
Bought an '85 D150 shortbox with a 318 and an A833 a couple months back, been daily driving it and doing some repairs.
Once I learned that the D150 shares nearly everything with the Ramcharger, my googling got a lot easier, and this forum was top hit almost every time.
I've had great fun on this truck so far, and I'm looking forward to keeping it on the road for another couple decades.

What I've done so far:
Rebuilt stock carb.
Deleted smog pump.
Replaced alternator, voltage regulator, ignition control module, various wiring, stereo, dizzy cap/wires, and much more.
Swapped in a temp/oil pressure instrument cluster.
Upgraded to dual diaphragm brake booster.
Added Summit headers and 2.5" dual exhaust.
Powder coated breather and valve covers.

My plans for the truck are to do lots of backlog maintenance, including rebuilding the suspension and transmission, then eventually doing a 5.2 magnum swap and some other quality-of-life improvements, but keeping it pretty stock otherwise.
I'd like to get it painted up eventually, but it's not a priority.

A little about me, I'm a mechanical engineer with some experience with short-run production techniques, so I may be able to help reproduce some parts that seem to be unobtanium, for example the headlight buckets for the 91-85s or the door handle mechanisms. In my free time I travel and play ultimate frisbee competitively to keep in shape.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Welcome to the nut house. I work with your kind every day. I've been a Design Engineer for 31 years. We do have a guy that goes by HOBO here on the site that makes 3D printed parts on professional machines but it's always nice to have another to keep up with demand. The aftermarket is ignoring the dodge truck but we are putting pressure on them to step up their game. We have links to sites that carry parts Here:

·
Registered
Project Leviathan
570 Posts
Welcome aboard sir! Glad to have an other Engineer! Also, i'm your guy for everything additive manufacturing!

Reactions: DODGEBOYS

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! I have a couple Stratasys machines that I can use at work, and an Ender 3 at home.
I'm planning on using some resin casting techniques to try to make some headlight buckets and blinker lenses, but I have to figure out how to disassemble the dang things first, are they glued together?
I already made a first pass at a gauge mount in the pocket above the climate controls, I'm gonna make a revision soon.

·
Registered
Project Leviathan
570 Posts
Nice, I only use FDM for prototypes, then I move everything to SLS for real use applications. I have special access to advance finishing technologies to make parts sealed and glass smoothed. Also, I have access to TPUs, but that future special projects. I'm just focusing on hard plastics and small parts at the moment. Need pricing on cheap but ultra high quality SLS parts call me! lol. I got you.

here is my mega thread on what I have done so far. things have been on hold at the moment do to crazy stuff at the office. so hope fully soon I can get back to design work.

Mega Thread: New Reproduction of plastic parts

BTW what Stratasys machines you got? I used to run their poly jet.

Also, I got a metal plating guy. Best in the industries too!

Plus, I see you got now A/c Vents. I was planning tackling that on hopefully by end of summer.

I'd recommend maybe trying SLS Nylon 12GF for the headlight buckets. I still haven't figured out how to do the blinker and side lenses. That's been stumping me on material choice.

Reactions: DODGEBOYS

·
Registered
31,035 Posts
howdy and welcome / the very Best thing you can do for yourself and your truck is by a FSM [ Factory Service Manual ] and being an Engineer you know the value of manuals , ask HOBO above about the quality of my manuals and my complete service to the dodge truck repair and the wealth of info l posses [ STOP l,m bragging ] LOL - whatever you need info just ask [ my site below ]

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
howdy and welcome / the very Best thing you can do for yourself and your truck is by a FSM [ Factory Service Manual ] and being an Engineer you know the value of manuals , ask HOBO above about the quality of my manuals and my complete service to the dodge truck repair and the wealth of info l posses [ STOP l,m bragging ] LOL - whatever you need info just ask [ my site below ]

"No brag. Just fact" Will Sonnett

Welcome!
Glad you found us. We need all the help we can get. ;D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice, I only use FDM for prototypes, then I move everything to SLS for real use applications. I have special access to advance finishing technologies to make parts sealed and glass smoothed. Also, I have access to TPUs, but that future special projects. I'm just focusing on hard plastics and small parts at the moment. Need pricing on cheap but ultra high quality SLS parts call me! lol. I got you.

here is my mega thread on what I have done so far. things have been on hold at the moment do to crazy stuff at the office. so hope fully soon I can get back to design work.

Mega Thread: New Reproduction of plastic parts

BTW what Stratasys machines you got? I used to run their poly jet.

Also, I got a metal plating guy. Best in the industries too!

Plus, I see you got now A/c Vents. I was planning tackling that on hopefully by end of summer.

I'd recommend maybe trying SLS Nylon 12GF for the headlight buckets. I still haven't figured out how to do the blinker and side lenses. That's been stumping me on material choice.
Looks interesting, we may collaborate in the future.
The machines I work with on a daily basis are an F170 and an F270, along with a Formlabs Form 3.
I do have the AC vents, they were out for cleaning when I took the pic.

I'm VERY interested in the 81-85 headlight bezels, I think I may have found a source for the lenses.
Are you up to the task of 3d modeling the bezels? If not, I'll try my hand at it and maybe you can run them in a black nylon.

Thanks for the info, I have a Haynes manual but a proper Chrysler would be cool. I'll definitely keep you in mind if I have any tough questions.

·
Registered
Project Leviathan
570 Posts
Looks interesting, we may collaborate in the future.
The machines I work with on a daily basis are an F170 and an F270, along with a Formlabs Form 3.
I do have the AC vents, they were out for cleaning when I took the pic.

I'm VERY interested in the 81-85 headlight bezels, I think I may have found a source for the lenses.
Are you up to the task of 3d modeling the bezels? If not, I'll try my hand at it and maybe you can run them in a black nylon.
Yeah it be kick ass to Collaborate! Just hit me up on what your thinking! I have a lot of ideas and goals I want to accomplish.

Ahh FDM Machines a small photopolymer machine. From what I heard the work well. And yeah I can build the Bezels no problem. I have access to SLS Build Chambers of 400mm X 400mm X 450mm. Which I thinking I can nest 10+ per build if I do it right (Thinking Aloud here). There is two ways to do color for black, at carbon black to the powder or to dye the part with Rit Dye (There is a secret formula to get it right). At the end you can paint it to the color you like. well I lied, there's a 3rd option. lol

Now on CADing, I currently teaching myself as I go. I can do most basic stuff, I'm not sure how difficult it would be to CAD the head light bezel. But Im willing to take the challenge on. Currently my build volume on my FDM machine is rather small. So i'd have to send the file out to be made for test fitment as we get the design down. I'm currently back logged on CAD projects. I'd love to have a CAD guy to help me churn out stuff. But that cost money lol and I dont got that. Just an FYI I used to run a Service Bureau, run all the machines, and post process work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts