Dodge RamCharger Central banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I like creating plant compositions, where one grows into another making it look more natural. I like having many places to sit and look at the garden from different angles. We added some red and white elements like benches, tables and old doors to add some colour the landscape
Plant Flower Sky Cloud Plant community

Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree Land lot
Plant Sky Cloud Flower Tree

·
Registered
508 Posts
Very nice. I a little more artistic than me. But I bet you would get along great with my wife!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks, but artistic garden does not put food on the table...
I started looking a bit different at things after to Covid. I took some things for granted and boom, pandemic started and turned the world upside down. It hit our life and business so hard that I started questioning if my approach was right.

It turned out very good financially after all but the doubts remained. I always treated home and garden as a place to rest and spend good time in nice conditions... now I want it to be more self-sufficient.
That's one of the main reasons why I installed photovoltaic, have three independent heating systems, our own well and want to have a garden that gives us crops and not just looks good on photos!

Maybe I'll become a prepper one day ;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
I always kind of hated that term, prepper. Even though I guess I am one. It's such a loaded political term.

What we call prepping today was what my great grandparents just called "living" That's really all we are doing.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I started looking a bit different at things after to Covid. I took some things for granted and boom, pandemic started and turned the world upside down. It hit our life and business so hard that I started questioning if my approach was right.

It turned out very good financially after all but the doubts remained. I always treated home and garden as a place to rest and spend good time in nice conditions... now I want it to be more self-sufficient.
That's one of the main reasons why I installed photovoltaic, have three independent heating systems, our own well and want to have a garden that gives us crops and not just looks good on photos!

That's my wife & my goal, more self sufficient, like our grandparents were.
We are looking at land, maybe some livestock, garden, possibly a greenhouse. Luckily my upbringing had a lot of that, even though I was raised in the city/suburbs my family roots are rural Texans/Okies. Country folks can survive said Hank.

I don't mind social distancing at all. Never was a fan of being around crowds....and people piss me off more than anything, even the weather.

Bucky

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Bohunk I am impressed with what yall have going on up there.

Bucky

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thanks. It's been an ongoing process. I gardened some back in town but since we bought the farm 9 years ago, it's been a steady job, getting bigger and better.

I made a lot of mistakes but try to learn from them. Here's a good one....We moved in in 2012. Proceeded to plant a big garden in some open land that used to be the cattle yard. Very good soil. But 2012 was a drought year, and the place we planted the garden was dry as a bone. We found out that it is a near perpetual swamp in normal years. So after fighting it a few years and having a total garden failure in 2017(12 inches of rain in one weekend with not enough drainage) we moved the entire garden to higher ground. I even had to uproot my fruit trees, almost of all of them didn't survive. So we started over. It was a mess.

Another....My sheep project turned into a catastrophe. After 5 years, I threw in the towel. I did everything I possibly could to learn and get better but still failed. I lost confidence in my ability to keep sheep alive. Now I'm focusing on goats only, I've been much more successful with them. I'm wanting to build my herd bigger but everything is kind of in a holding pattern right now with my new shop being built.

Always something going on, with a hobby farm.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I always kind of hated that term, prepper. Even though I guess I am one. It's such a loaded political term.

What we call prepping today was what my great grandparents just called "living" That's really all we are doing.
I don' like the word prepper or rather what it represents right now, but... I like the general idea.
Being fully self-sufficient is impossible in my case(or in any case?), but I'd like to get to a point where I can 30-50% of food from my garden/farm. That would give me a piece of mind.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That's my wife & my goal, more self sufficient, like our grandparents were.
We are looking at land, maybe some livestock, garden, possibly a greenhouse. Luckily my upbringing had a lot of that, even though I was raised in the city/suburbs my family roots are rural Texans/Okies. Country folks can survive said Hank.

I don't mind social distancing at all. Never was a fan of being around crowds....and people piss me off more than anything, even the weather.

Bucky
Good luck with your plan(y)

Our grandparents were a totally different generation, and as @TheBohunk said prepping was what they called living. I truly like that comparison.
There's nothing wrong with social distancing IMO! We live on the edge of a small village (population - 2.500) but with big cities all around. I'd rather call it slow living than distancing. You still have access to all the good things cities have to offer but without the crowds and rush...

·
Registered
508 Posts
I don' like the word prepper or rather what it represents right now, but... I like the general idea.
Being fully self-sufficient is impossible in my case(or in any case?), but I'd like to get to a point where I can 30-50% of food from my garden/farm. That would give me a piece of mind.
That’s about what I shoot for too. This time of year we come close

·
Registered
508 Posts
Panda, this is my wife’s flower beds. She started selling cut flowers at the local farmers market this year. She did pretty good with it, she made about $200 a week. Much better than I thought

It’s starting to die off, it looked much
better a month ago. I don’t know much about flowers, in fact this was almost totally her project so I don’t know much about anything

The nets on the flowers are to protect them from the corn borer beetles that emerge from the neighboring corn fields and like to eat flowers.

The tarps are where she is expanding her beds for next year

Plant Plant community Window Tree Dog

Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Flower

Plant Flower Plant community Leaf Tree

Plant Plant community Grass Vegetation Shrub

Plant Flower Plant community Natural landscape Vegetation

Plant Plant community Flower Shrub Grass

This last picture is just a Bush she has growing by the grain bins. I forget what it’s called but she likes the tiny white flowers.

·
Administrator
60,208 Posts
The heck with the garden, tell me about the dog. Is she a red heeler?

·
Registered
508 Posts
He is a heeler/hound mix named Trooper. I don't have a picture of him on my phone, I'll snap one in the morning when I get home.

I'm not sure what kind of heeler or what kind of hound but I think he has the face and markings of a Blue Tick. He has some natural herd dog instincts so that's probably the heeler. I put him in the pen with the livestock and he can have all the sheep and goats rounded up in the corner in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
7,338 Posts

I like Dr. Pepper!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Panda, this is my wife’s flower beds. She started selling cut flowers at the local farmers market this year. She did pretty good with it, she made about $200 a week. Much better than I thought

It’s starting to die off, it looked much
better a month ago. I don’t know much about flowers, in fact this was almost totally her project so I don’t know much about anything

The nets on the flowers are to protect them from the corn borer beetles that emerge from the neighboring corn fields and like to eat flowers.

The tarps are where she is expanding her beds for next year

View attachment 620517
View attachment 620518

View attachment 620519
View attachment 620520
View attachment 620521
View attachment 620522
This last picture is just a Bush she has growing by the grain bins. I forget what it’s called but she likes the tiny white flowers.
Your wife is doing a great job. Really nice looking garden. I can only imagine how it looked a few weeks back.
I can see you guys got a more practical approach to garden - food and money from the flowers. I like that!

We actually have some of the plants you're having.

What's that net on the beds doing? Dogs or goats protection?

You need to ask your wife what's that last white bush called. The flowers look like tiny daisies(but i know they aren't).

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think it's more of a hobby for her, but she found a way to make a few dollars off of it. She took a part time, work from home job about a year ago. It was a large pay cut, but allowed her to stay home, no commute, and the youngest didn't need daycare anymore, so it largely was offset. But she found herself with a lot more time on her hands. This was her solution.

The net thing is to support the flowers while they are growing so they grow straight against the winds out here on the prairie. Nobody wants to buy flowers that lean.

I'll ask her the name of the white flowers. She told me earlier but it was some long latin or greek name that I can't remember now.

·
Administrator
60,208 Posts
I like his color.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts