201 - 220 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
22,463 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
You can't use gas anymore or what is it?
Look at the bright side - you can look at the fire all winter ;) Just kidding, I know it's a lot of work to get enough wood for the whole winter. Good luck with that.

I'm still waiting for the first wood delivery

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I need to get a couple good shots of my garden up while it's in good shape here in the middle of summer. I think you might like it, Panda.

Also I was recently talked into starting a Youtube channel centered around my hobby farm. There's a few gardening videos there, but it's got a lot of other stuff too. It's basically documenting the chaos I get myself into around here.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
I need to get a couple good shots of my garden up while it's in good shape here in the middle of summer. I think you might like it, Panda.

For sure. Garden photos and ideas is what keeps me going. We have a ritual with my wife... We take a tour around our garden nearly every day, enjoy the green, and talk, basically about the same things but many ideas were born during our walks.

It got us closer together too.

As for v the YT - great idea, you talk with passion and your videos are interesting to watch. You got one new subscriber ;)

Soldecki Tomatoes are from Krakow, PL like you said, about 90 miles from me.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
For sure. Garden photos and ideas is what keeps me going. We have a ritual with my wife... We take a tour around our garden nearly every day, enjoy the green, and talk, basically about the same things but many ideas were born during our walks.

It got us closer together too.

As for v the YT - great idea, you talk with passion and your videos are interesting to watch. You got one new subscriber ;)

Soldecki Tomatoes are from Krakow, PL like you said, about 90 miles from me.
Im way outside my comfort zone, I’m kind of a private person. But some friends talked me into it so I thought I would give it a try.

I knew nothing about making videos when I started so I still feel pretty amateur, but I’m getting better.

Thanks for the info on the tomatoes. I like to grow oddball stuff from around the world. It’s more fun than just growing everyday common vegetables, although I do that too sometimes.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You can't use gas anymore or what is it?
Look at the bright side - you can look at the fire all winter ;) Just kidding, I know it's a lot of work to get enough wood for the whole winter. Good luck with that.

I'm still waiting for the first wood delivery
We already have some dry wood for next winter. The new one is for later. At the moment there is enogh natural gas but I don't trust that idiots in Berlin anymore. It's nice to feel morally superior but unfortunately my heater doesn't run on morals. It will need Russion natural gas.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My pasture out front. About 3 or 4 acres of land. The neighbor cuts and bales it and we split it between his cattle and my goats. Everybody wins.

The people we bought our property from told us this pasture had never seen a plow. I don’t think that’s true, it has some small amount of alfalfa growing in it and I suspect that didn’t get there by itself. But I do think it’s been many decades since it was plowed. The previous owners bought it in the 1930s, so it could have been before them

Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree Agriculture

Sky Plant Ecoregion Tree Natural landscape

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
TheBohunk Everything you grow is at least twice the size of ours.

You're out fo my league ;) (y)

You don't need to be a gardener to see that you know what you're doing, beautiful garden.
How much time do you spend there weekly?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
TheBohunk Everything you grow is at least twice the size of ours.

You're out fo my league ;) (y)

You don't need to be a gardener to see that you know what you're doing, beautiful garden.
How much time do you spend there weekly?
Thank you for the compliments. I think the results are less about what I'm doing and more about the soil here. This area of Iowa has some of the most fertile land on planet Earth and that is no exaggeration.

How much time we spend on it varies with the time of year. Probably somewhere around 8-10 hours a week, between the two us, myself and my wife. Sometimes more if we are planting in May or pulling weeds in June and July. By late July, the garden itself chokes out the weeds and there is a lot less work to do.

I haven't showed you the wife's flower garden yet either. She sells cut flower bouquets at the local farmers market and spends much more time on that project than our vegetable garden.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 · (Edited)
I was helping a friend of mine today. He's building a cabin in the woods and we were replanting two pines. Not the best time of year for this type of job, but I hope they'll be fine.
When I replant big trees I dig a big hole, pour plenty of water, add good soil, mix it all together and stick the tree into the mud, so the roots are fully covered. Works every time in the fall and spring.

Beautiful place he's got there, remote and quiet.
Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

Plant Building Plant community Tree Window

Plant Plant community Vegetation Wood Bedrock

Plant Natural landscape Shade Wood Tree

Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Wood

201 - 220 of 250 Posts