Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed many guys here are either farmers or have experience with gardening and landscaping. I hope we can help each other and expand our knowledge on the subject.

Let's start.
My kid planted sunflowers on one of the beds. Beginners luck or a good hand for plants? The one on the right is 16 feet tall and still growing.
Flower Plant Sky Natural landscape Tree

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
because of the Un-global warming , it was cold wet and rainy all summer here in New England [ its raining right now ] just about every thing died that l planted , l usually do pretty good with my garden , l plant-ed 4 kinds of Tom's , Zucchini , all kinds of peppers , its all water logged and l,m not the only one = nobodys garden did well , even the local garden flea market is empty , l dont grow corn but theres tons of that

• Sad
Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
508 Posts
It’s late in the year and my garden doesn’t look as good as it did a month ago but here’s a few pics.

Plant Sky Plant community Tree Natural landscape

Okra and green beans. Both are about cashed out
Plant Plant community Natural landscape Tree Land lot

Swiss chard still going stromg
Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Flower Evergreen

Tomatoes
Plant Green Sky Natural landscape Tree

Various sweet and hot peppers on the left. Sweet potatoes on the right

Plant Plant community Natural environment Natural landscape Shrub

Pumpkins and winter squashes are visible, Spaghettis and butternut mostly but I think there is acorn squash in there too.
Plant Agriculture Grass Groundcover Natural landscape

Probably not 16 footers like Panda, but pretty tall nonetheless

Plant Sky Botany Tree Vegetation

I’ll post more when I get some time later

·
Registered
508 Posts
because of the Un-global warming , it was cold wet and rainy all summer here in New England [ its raining right now ] just about every thing died that l planted , l usually do pretty good with my garden , l plant-ed 4 kinds of Tom's , Zucchini , all kinds of peppers , its all water logged and l,m not the only one = nobodys garden did well , even the local garden flea market is empty , l dont grow corn but theres tons of that
I have my best years during droughts. When I control how much water the garden gets.

It was a drought year this year. Very dry all spring and early summer up until August. We had 11 inches of rain in late august. It was very helpful

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
I have my best years during droughts. When I control how much water the garden gets.

It was a drought year this year. Very dry all spring and early summer up until August. We had 11 inches of rain in late august. It was very helpful
where's you at

·
Registered
508 Posts
Couple raised beds. I used the old tires from my tractor for a two of them. There’s nothing growing in the tires right now, I had carrots in one and cantaloupes in the other, but it’s all been harvested now.
Plant Plant community Automotive tire Natural landscape Botany

Part of my future “orchard”. Pear tree in the foreground. Two plums and then a peach in the back. I have a few apple trees elsewhere on the property but not pictured.

Plant Sky Grass Land lot Natural landscape

·
Registered
508 Posts
I’ve got 30+ laying hens roaming the place
Bird Tire Plant Car Vertebrate

I was raising sheep for a while but I’m concentrating on goats right now. They are a lot easier. I’ve got both meat goats and dairy. I milk two of them, getting about two gallons every 3 days.

Vertebrate Mammal Grass Fawn Adaptation

My old billy goat, Buzz. He didn’t want his picture taken today I guess

Window Plant Building Tree Wood

·
Registered
508 Posts
Panda, the greenhouse setup you described in the other thread, I think would work. I would still be concerned about too much heat and it drying out. As long as there is proper venting and everything was watered regularly, it should still work.

These are tropical plants we are dealing with. They like heat and humidity but too much would kill off anything.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Panda, the greenhouse setup you described in the other thread, I think would work. I would still be concerned about too much heat and it drying out. As long as there is proper venting and everything was watered regularly, it should still work.

These are tropical plants we are dealing with. They like heat and humidity but too much would kill off anything.
Too much heat is the biggest problem.
I remember my grandma saying that it's crucial to open doors in the morning and close at night in the spring. In the summer you leave them all open, but no drafts...

I may be changing one more thing...
When I started our vegetable garden we had no neighbor and plenty of sun. My neighbor planted his hedge and in the spring it was 12 feet tall, we both cut it down to 8 feet and now I get more sun but not as much as 12 years ago. Looking at your photos got me thinking and I may be moving the whole vegetable garden to a different place. With plenty of sun and no shade.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know how it is. There are good and bad years.
Good that you're no farmer and your income doesn't rely on the crops. That would really suck

Let's hope next year surprises us with plenty of everything :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve got 30+ laying hens roaming the place
View attachment 620392

I was raising sheep for a while but I’m concentrating on goats right now. They are a lot easier. I’ve got both meat goats and dairy. I milk two of them, getting about two gallons every 3 days.

View attachment 620393

My old billy goat, Buzz. He didn’t want his picture taken today I guess

View attachment 620394
Your place looks really good. Are you guys farmers? Is your farm fully sustainable?
That would be my goal

·
Registered
508 Posts
Your place looks really good. Are you guys farmers? Is your farm fully sustainable?
That would be my goal
Not really. It’s a part time gig. I have a real job in town. Wife works part time from home.

It’s a hobby farm. Though I do pride myself when I can make a full meal with nothing but what we produce here or barter with the neighbors.

Just 8 acres of the best soil on earth.

Plant Terrestrial plant Urban design Tree Grass

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
this works great [ for old people that cant get back up ] l,ve been use'in it for years and its just cheap 2x6's [ well they were cheap ]

Plant Font Tree Wood Parallel

·
Registered
13,333 Posts
black tires make and hold heat in soil , a good thing .

Reactions: TheBohunk

·
Registered
508 Posts
Kale
Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Evergreen Grass

Leeks
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Shrub

Hell, I even grow a little tobbacuh
Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Flowering plant Annual plant

And of course, more damn tomatoes than I can deal with
Plant Citrus Flowering plant Fruit tree Groundcover

Plant Plant community Leaf Agriculture Shrub

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@TheBohunk that looks really good, I see you. Making a whole dinner out of your own farm is really something.

We get plenty of fruits, rhubarb, berries and strawberries which is our main goal because children love them. As for vegetables, plenty of zucchini, pumpkins(which i hate BTW), kale, leeks and some peppers. This year we struggled with tomatoes and cucumbers - we ate only a handful, the rest was eaten by diseases.

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
That's a good idea. How many pounds/kg do you get out of pony tower?

l dont really know as l never took count , just went out and grabbed what was needed for dinner every night or whatever

1 - 20 of 42 Posts