Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well many of you know the on going issue with my truck. To recap: thought it had a rod knock that turned out to be a stuck lifter that loosened up, had no oil pressure - replaced oil pump, tried to start but had bad battery, replaced battery and all cables, ground wire and a few leads going to battery.

Well I got all the cables replaced this weekend and the new battery put in. When I tried to start it, it fired right up but only ran for the split second that I have the ignition switch turned far enough to engage the starter. When I release the switch to go to the "run" position, it dies. Keep in mind that I have never had a problem with the truck running. It has always ran very good. What would cause this??

I am assuming that its an electrical issue since it is getting enough fuel to start and then after it dies, it fires right back up to die again. Would that be caused by a bad ground? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
hey ryan, i've got a brand spankin new ignition switch if you wanna try that. Takes about 5 seconds to plug in and test

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
Take out your voltmeter and make sure you have no less than 8 or so volts at the + side of the coil with the ignition switch in the 'run' position. If not, then start checking voltages up the line. Sounds like a ballast resistor problem to me. Could be a bad one or loose wires around it.

The ballast resistor should get 12v in and reduce it out the other side. When you are cranking, though, the ballast resistor is bypassed and the coil gets the full 12v to aid starting. That's probably why it will fire but not run.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Yeah, ballast resistor, and the other thing is the pickup(s). If you have dual pickups, as my 85 did, there is one for run and the other for start. Look for wires coming out of the distributor.
If there is only 1, single pickup. If 2, dual. Bear in mind that when I say 1, it is acutally a pair of wires that are in the same insulation jacket, like lamp cord.
Oh, yeah, with dual pickups, there will be an extra relay....

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
get it running yet?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope not runnin yet, although I am pretty sure its the ballast resistor. I checked the power going into it and it was at 12v but when the ignition is on run, there is no power at the coil. I will replace it this weekend to see if that does the trick.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Whip out the volt/ohm meter n swith it over to OHMs, check for continunity across the ballast resistor. Before spending money on parts, trouble-shoot and figure out what's wrong. It's a whole lot cheaper and a lot less frustrating.
BTW:I have had the ignition swith on these old trucks fail, they use a different set of contacts internally between start and run. If the ballast resistor checks good, a wiring diagram and the same meter will tell you if the swith is bad.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I GOT IT RUNNIN!!!! Turned out to be the relay that is in between the battery and the ballast resistor. It runs like a champ now - and the oil pressure is up, so thats a real good thing. Takin it to get new power window motors and a headliner next week.

SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Are you having some else put the window motors in and redo the headliner? I could help you do it. I re-did my headliner myself, and it still looks good after about a year and a half, and it only cost me about $30 for material and glue.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
thats awesome ryan...and thanks for leaving the voicemail of you starting it up, just to tease me ;D j/k

so umm *cough*crownking*cough*? ;D

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Duffy said:
Are you having some else put the window motors in and redo the headliner? I could help you do it. I re-did my headliner myself, and it still looks good after about a year and a half, and it only cost me about $30 for material and glue.
If I could get some help with them, I would be willing to give it a shot. I had heard that the power windows were a real pain to change out, and I was gonna have the headliner done because I am not sure how to get out my sunroof and rear "escape hatch" without screwin em up. Plus some jabronee put in my sunroof so it has about four tubes of caulk around it, thats gonna suck. I would be all for hosting a chapter meeting and tacklin these things though!!! Might be a good chance to get some people together before Moab.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I think that I have to work on Saturday. And Sunday, I have to go up to my moms house and beat everyone back in line ( a little bit of a family feud going on ). But I'll make time for the sunday of October 5.
As far as materials goes,
you can get the headliner cloth at H & R Sales ( H & R Apolstery ) I can't remember their name. But, their just south of I10 on 35Av ( about a block ) on the west side of 35Av. It's a big building with their name on the side, you can't miss it. They have a very good selection on colors. Measure the total length of your headliner ( I think it'll be about 10 feet ), get an extra foot or so just to be safe.
go to Home-Depo and get a gallon of contact glue in the paint department, a couple of the cheapest foam brushes, and a small roller of some sort ( like what they use for wall paper border ). I might even have some of this stuff at my moms house, I'll find out this weekend.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a bunch Duff, that sounds good to me. I'll check into the materials this weekend. Whats the chance you would be able to swing out to Avondale (107th ave and Thomas)? I know thats a cruise for you. I don't have plates or insurance on the RC right now and I only have a $500 budget for the power windows, headliner, some guages and some little stuff so I don't know that I can swing the plates and stuff right now. If you can't make it out, I will look into getting a three day permit and an insurance binder to swing out there. Either way I really appreciate the help, but if you come out my way, lunch, your drink of choice and my first born child are all yours. By the way, know anything about power window motor replacement??

Thanks again
Ryan

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
hey guys, mind if i tag along? I wanna learn how the power windows and stuff go together (future plan for my truck)

·
Registered
423 Posts
If the power door is anything like a Chevy, it'll be easier then you think. Just have a hole saw drill bit thingy ready to more easily get to bolts- that worked great for me, I could see the bolts just fine, but I couldn't get a socket in there.

I hope I get to see your truck one day!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Hey Ryan, I don't think you want to drive all the way out to Sassoman and Guadalupe. I don't mind coming over to your place at all. I'm going to have to set the date back to the 12th. My cousin came out from Pennsylvania and it kinda' messed up my plans for this weekend. You know, showing them the sites and what not. But it's all good. I don't mind teaching people how to re-do a headliner, so if you want to learn something new, come on down. ;D

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks man, yer the best. The 12th won't work for me though. I plan on being hungover in Vegas that day. If the following Sunday (19th) will work for you, I have no plans as of yet. When the day draws a little closer I will get you some directions. Thanks again!!

Ryan

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Duff, just wondering if you were still going to be able to make it out on Sunday for the headliner how to. If so, IM me and I'll get you my number so I can get you some directions. Thanks man

Ryan

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I have to work this Saturday, and Sunday me and my dad are setting the 440 into his 66 Satalite. But my wife has next Saturday off and she wants to tag along ( besides, she helped me do my headliner ).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.