Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got a parts list of stuff I'll need to hook it up? It's got oil pressure water temp and voltage. It came with a bunch of stuff. But I keep hearing I need to buy copper line to run the oil pressure gauge. But I wanna try to keep factory guage at same time so I need like a T fitting?

Also same sort of deal with the coolant temp. Idk if there's a way to keep factory guage hooked up as well? If not that's not as important. I just wanna keep at least oil pressure gauge and volt if I can so I don't get dummy lights going off

It's a bosche set if it matters. Was trying to find a good set of sunpro. But apparently their quality control is just as bad as bosche now a days. Plus the ones I liked didn't come with any illumination

1985 W150 Royal SE. 5.9 360 727 3 speed auto

·
Administrator
61,028 Posts
For the oil, all you need is a simple T fitting. First pic is how the factory does it to use the gauge, and a switch for the electric choke. I go the extra step, and make a stronger setup, which is also easier to get to the dist. Basically a T block First one is a 4 tool air fitting, second is costum made. A few 1/8" NPT to 5/16" inverted flare fittings, a tee block, and a small section of brake line.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Rim Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread Wheel Synthetic rubber

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

For the temp, look for a second plug in the coolant section of the intake. might have a emissions vacuum fitting in it, if you do not need it for emissions, it could work. Or you can search out a thermostat spacer that has a port for a temp sensor.

Automotive tire Nickel Bumper Composite material Bicycle part

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ya, pretty much just use a T for the oil line. Oh and if the gauges come with the nylon line for the oil gauge just toss it away, and get a copper line kit. Dont ask me how I know.... As for the temp. Cant use a T for that, but in ost cases there is another place in the cooling system to screw into. Just look around and see if you see any pipe plugs..

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Another question I had was after hooking it all up, do I have to bleed the oil lines for air? Or will it do it itself?

1985 W150 Royal SE. 5.9 360 727 3 speed auto

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just added a mechanical oil pressure gauge (2-1/16) while keeping the factory gauge. I used a brass tee and fed the mechanical line (I used a 6' premade steel braided cable) through the speedometer hole on the driver side. The factory pressure sender sits on top of the tee. I will post some pics.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Yes DO NOT use the plastic line, braided stainless like Gus used is the way to go, but copper is better than nothing. I prefer mechanical gauges with electric senders myself. The first time that nylon line blows under the dash you'll thank us!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yup, I attempted to make my own custom made line w/AN fittings (which I have successfully done in the past), but after I couldn't get it to pressure test I hit the Easy button and ordered a line. Also don't mount it up without testing it for bit to make sure it wont leak behind the dash or wherever you put it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts