Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 R/C, I have a line on some '76 1 tons. I know they will match right up, or with little modification. Does anyone have any bad experiences with a '76? Should I hold out and wait for something newer?
NExt my concern would be how a full time axle operates and is there any way to make it part time. I have a 208 xfer, so would that work from that end to make it part time? Woudln't I have to swap out the hubs to be able to put manual locking hubs up front?
I'm not too familiar with drivelines from back when, so any info I will appreciate.
Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
846 Posts
now the question is your 208 has CAD vac system, so is that even compatable at all? also are the 76 axles you can get for a dually or single wheel?
shawn

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
timdog said:
I have an 86 R/C, I have a line on some '76 1 tons. I know they will match right up, or with little modification. Does anyone have any bad experiences with a '76? Should I hold out and wait for something newer?
The earlier 70s trucks may have a Dana 70 front axle instead of a Dana 60. While the 70 sounds like it would be stronger, they have cruddy closed knuckles, and the axleshafts are no bigger than a Dana 44. The Dana 70s are more likely to come with drum brakes. It's not a bad axle, but most here would agree that a Dana 60 front would be a better choice.

NExt my concern would be how a full time axle operates and is there any way to make it part time.
A fulltime axle operates alot like a rear axle in that it's always in operation with no capability to disengage. There are two types of hubs you are likely to come across. The Unit hub and a standard or regular hub that uses a drive flange instead of a lock out hub for fulltime use. You won't have to worry about unit hubs on a pre 94 Dodge Dana 60, because they didn't come with unit hubs. With regular hubs, you can easily remove the drive flanges and install lock out hubs in their place which will allow you to disengage the axleshafts from the hub assy as in a part time operation

. Now if you have a unit hubbed Dana 44 and want to have part time capability, you'll need to swap out the unit hubs and install regular hubs.

I have a 208 xfer, so would that work from that end to make it part time? Woudln't I have to swap out the hubs to be able to put manual locking hubs up front?
I'm not too familiar with drivelines from back when, so any info I will appreciate.
Thanks
Tim
Yes you'll need to have lock out hubs.

Ed

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Murdoch said:
now the question is your 208 has CAD vac system, so is that even compatable at all? also are the 76 axles you can get for a dually or single wheel?
shawn
the CAD tcase will work fine, all he will need to do is plug the line running to the tcase, and take off the ball and such.

Duane

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Wouldn't a 1 ton truck in 1976 have a NP205 and be part time?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know too much about the axles. The guy is an old dude who has a select group of people he deals with because he thinks he gets screwed too much. I am going to go over there some time next week (hopefully) to check them out. All I know is he says he has a matched set and it's locked....I don't know if the front and rear are locked (doubtful) or just the rear. I think I would probably pass if it is a 70...unless the price is right, but I would love some 60's.
Thanks for the info on the hubs, I thought I remembered someone saying you have to change a lot out to make it part time...my plan is to turn some 38's ro 39's and it will be a DD of sorts.

Thanks
Tim

G

·
I got my dana 60's from a 76 Snow Commander and the front has the flanges. I have a 208 t-case and running 38.5 boggers and haven't had a problem. I did remove all of the vaccum crap and capped the vaccum switch on the t-case.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I put D60s from a 1977 Dodge under my 86 RC. Rear was only a 30 spline D60, but I have only broken it once. D60 front had the 30 spline outers and the full time drive flanges. I kept the drive flanges as trail spares and put some Superwinch lockouts on it, that was all that needed to be done to make it part time. I don't know if the 76 you are looking at would be any different, I am definitely not a guru. Running 38.5x16.5x15 TSLs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts