Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 285/75R16's. Load range D (8 ply).
These tires are amazing, and I don't know how I got around without them before.
They are quite soft though, so watch out for hot pavement.
They make a lot of noise on the road, but some of us are into that anyways.
Excellent on snow, mud, and on wet sandy roads. Not sure about dry sand though, or gravel pits.
I recommend them, but since they are pricey, maybe have a set of Michelin LTX AT's for the highways if you have a heavy truck and you need a good wearing tire.
I paid $299 canadian each, from Fountain Tire in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
I've been running a set of 33x12.50x15 MT/R's on my '99 1500 for about 8 months. I bought them used with about 2000 miles on them for a good price ($100/each). To be honest, with the exception of two easy trips through my muddy back yard to move a trailer, I have not had them off road at all. I have put about 8000 road miles on them so far and they show very little wear. Given what I've heard about poor MT/R tire wear, I expected these 10,000+ mile MT/R's to have far less tread. They have approximately 15/32" - 16/32" of tread remaining.

They are noisey. I noticed that from day one. However, they are very smooth and easy to handle on the highway. They provide a clean ride, and really have excellent road manners.

I was concerned about their behavior on icey roads threw the winter. I was pleasantly surprised fortunately. They are, by no stretch, as good on the ice as a good all terrain tire like a BFG AT, but when I broke them loose they regained traction much quicker than I expected. Admittedly our last winter was very mild by local standards, but I have no worry running them next winter.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
ok I'm running these in a 285/75/R16 I have put over 10K mile on them and I'm noteasy on tires and the tire shop says they have 10/32 tread left. I have whole lugs missing and cuts all over the tire. The last time I was in the tire shop they said no more warrenty on the tire do to to much spinning of the tire. ??? I guess someone told them about my 25' long black stip I laid down out siad of my work. (was showing a co-worker what a Dodge can do) Any way to say the least I'm hard on tires so I feel they have handles very well. I even had these tire at Ran Jam this year andthey did great the whole drive down and back and I would have to say they did better then most tire there off the road. I paid $164 each @ Sam's club I bought them back in march or april. so far I have sold 4 sets of these tire to off-road budys just by whellin with them. LOL the tire shops love me. Next I'm going to be buying these tires in a 35"size.

Scott

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
my 35x12 MTRs have been excellent, they are much more quiet than Swamper Radials or Pro Comp XTs that I have compared with. After doing some research they also have shown to be by far the best traction on dry surfaces. There isnt much mud out here, but I grab much better than my old BFG mts. he deishgn was done by computer and have little cometeion as far as other radial Off Road Tires go.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I have been hearing a lot lately that these tires are awesome in everything accept mud.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My MT/R's are really starting to fall apart now. Pieces of the lugs are breaking off. They really got cut up driving on iceroads all winter.
Still lots of wear left though. I must have put on at least 20 000 miles since I bought them. Maybe 50% tread left.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well as far as the MTR's in the mud goes, They are alright. I have a friend with a '98 2500 truck and it's got 35 MTR's. They do alright in the mud until you get into really gooey mud that comes up more than 1/2 the tire. then they don't want to clear out. But once your into that kind of mud, your better off with swampers anyway....

·
3,940 Posts
i finally bought a set for the cherokee. a 75 dollar rebate helped.
they are not much noiser than the wore out girl tires that were on it. i also had the center lugs siped. haven't had any rain or snow(yet). had them off road and noticed on hard pack dirt they are easy to spin. in sand they were very impressive. climbed sandy hill at idle, a little above w/no problem, old tires required some gas. muddy stuff is quite good, feels like i'm being yanked out instead of the tires doing it, they are that good. so far so good.

·
3,940 Posts
another********UPDATE**********

i now have just over 3k on'em
finally, had them in the snow and the are awesome. played in 6-8in of white stuff and not stuck once. just pulled threw. in 2wd the spin very easily on rain or snow covered roads, brake very well unless you have to panic stop. i'm sure the siping has alot to do with braking. on rainy roads from a dead stop it easily spins these tires.
i like'em for everything. the ride is same as the the reg tires that were on it. plus my shocks are worn.

i give these tires a "9" for an overall use tire. probably an 8 or 8.5 w/o siping.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I worked in a tire shop and have seen alot of tires come through. MTRs are the best. one major thing to get better wear and better traction look into siping. I did mine at Americas tire company(discount tire every where else but California.) I can get easily 60,000 miles on a set. I rip out small chunks every now and then when i go tearing through a rock pile but still well worth the extra money. I siped mine half the tread depth and when that wears down I take them back in and have it done again. that helps with not ripping out big ass chunks. I have been doing that since 2001 when they first came out. f*%k BFGs!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts