Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have a particular brand for the 70's model round lights that they have found give off a good beam and are nice and bright?

or any special upgrade they have seen?

couldnt see nothing on the drive home through a rainstorm tonight.. was like driving blind  :p

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
I like the Silvania Silverstars.  If you want better than that and don't mind spending the money, you can go with some Hella H-4 housings and halogen bulbs of your choice.

Aside form that, nothing beats a good set of driving and fog lights.  I would have paid twice as much for my PIAAs if I had known how good they were and how long they would last.  Also the headlamp relay mod will boost power to the headlamps.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
X2 on the Fog Lights (make sure they're not Cheap Fog Lights..or Faux Fog Lights  :p )

Another thing that boosts visibility is a simple set of Clearence Lights on the roof, you would be amazed at how 5 little amber lights on the roof makes it easier for the driver to see at night  ;)

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
I disagree on the clearance lamps.  Those amber lights illuminate the hood more than anything which is light reflected back at the driver which will considerably cut down on your sight distance.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
X2 on the Silvania Silverstars.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Elwenil said:
I disagree on the clearance lamps. Those amber lights illuminate the hood more than anything which is light reflected back at the driver which will considerably cut down on your sight distance.
It probably does on a good paint job. My old truck had faded paint (Flat red and slate gray that used to be black) :p The Clearence Lights actually helped visibility in my case, especially at lower speeds/plowing snow.

At the same time i noticed Night Driving was less harsh on my eyes, but maybe that's just me ;)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
x3 on the silverstars.  like driving a new rig when i switched.  

matt

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
X2 on the Hella H4 housings + optilux zenon bulbs. Great combo

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use Hella E-code 7" round. NOTE: NOT DOT APPROVED. That aside, the cutoff is amazing, and even with 90W low 130W high, I've never been flashed nor pulled over for them, but that could just be my luck. Anyhow, I do enjoy pulling up next to people with HIDS and having just as much if not a little more usable light. I also relay them due to the amperage draw so as not to fry the harness or switch. On another note, I do know that Hella makes a DOT legal version.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Elwenil said:
I disagree on the clearance lamps. Those amber lights illuminate the hood more than anything which is light reflected back at the driver which will considerably cut down on your sight distance.
When was the last time you cleaned your windshield, Lanty? ;)

Actually, I should've asked '79 that question. LOL ;D

·
29,538 Posts
Elwenil said:
I like the Silvania Silverstars. If you want better than that and don't mind spending the money, you can go with some Hella H-4 housings and halogen bulbs of your choice.
X2....except for the Silverstars, I used them for a while and the beam was really patchy, light and dark spots.

I have been using Hella H4 conversion lamps (the set I have were actually intended for sale in the UK) and headlight relays. My highbeams are like two spotlights.

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
ddgeramcharger79 said:
anyone have a particular brand for the 70's model round lights that they have found give off a good beam and are nice and bright?
Increasing voltage to the lamps can help a lot. Check wiring (voltage drop test) or just rewire if they are in obvious bad shape. I also agree with the Sylvania lamps. I did both (fixed wires and changed to Sylvania Halogens) and it made a big difference.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Elwenil said:
I like the Silvania Silverstars. If you want better than that and don't mind spending the money, you can go with some Hella H-4 housings and halogen bulbs of your choice.

Aside form that, nothing beats a good set of driving and fog lights. I would have paid twice as much for my PIAAs if I had known how good they were and how long they would last. Also the headlamp relay mod will boost power to the headlamps.
i seen that how to but alot of the first steps are missing :p

PowerWagonPete said:

its been a long while ;D

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
PowerWagonPete said:

I keep all my windows clean for the same reason, visibility. I refuse to allow anyone to smoke in my vehicles due to the film and haze it puts on the windows. The light reflected off the windshield and dash is a proven fact which is why dashes from the at least as far back as the '60s are non-reflective flat paints and plastics and flat black hoods became popular on performance models because they were actually used on racing cars to help the driver see ahead better. The fact that most people coat their dash with Armor All and silicone to make it shine just proves the immeasurable stupidity of the human race.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
KThaxton said:
I Amor-All my dashboards and I don't have a glare problem. Can you measure my stupidity? :p
LOL Kendall!!! Just keep your eyes on the road. There's plenty of time to admire your reflection once you get home. :-*

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I have rectangular headlights but I think this will work with rounds.  I bought DOT approved lenses from JC Whitney, relatively cheap.  Bought bulbs (H-3 I think) and relays from NAPA.  Took a 10 minute mod to the core support for bulb clearance and made a  vast improvement on my lighting.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
KThaxton said:
I Amor-All my dashboards and I don't have a glare problem. Can you measure my stupidity? :p
Can you see the reflection of the grain of the dash in the windshield when the sun is shining on it? If so then yes, you are cutting your vision down just as an oncoming headlamp does but to a lesser extent.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts