Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GARY, IN—Indiana Department of Natural Resources (DNR) officials say goldfish-the kind commonly sold in pet stores-are destroying populations of bass and other gamefish in Spectacle Lake, near Gary.

It's not the first time-goldfish wreaked havoc in Spectacle 15 years ago, when biologists attempted a controlled eradication to rid the lake of goldfish. Although the measure worked temporarily, goldfish were reintroduced to the lake, presumably by people releasing pet fish. As a result, goldfish make up approximately 90 percent of the lake's fish population. Biologists say they're destructive to bass because they kick up mud and destroy bass nests. In addition, the goldfish produce large amounts of mucus and can reduce oxygen levels to intolerable levels.

·
Registered
29,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mopar-man 3000 said:
i know its is illgal to use gold fish in florida due to those reasons
they also get interduced to lake when people ise them as live bait
I never even thought of doing this.Do goldfish work well as bait?
I also had no idea goldfish could be this dangerous

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
mrpeabdy1974 said:
I also had no idea goldfish could be this dangerous
Don't know about the dangerous part... but remember that goldfish are Carp, they look real cute in your little fish bowl, but when released into the wild they can grow fairly big, and can really muddy up a lake, they're bottom feeders that can really mess up the place.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Yea, here in Maine it's a serious crime to release any fish into the water.

Like oldmanram said, they grow big and wreak havoc.

·
Premium Member
6,161 Posts
mrpeabdy1974 said:
I just assumed that the goldfish died in a few hours or a day.
wow.
I had Fair fish that lasted 7yrs. We tried to kill them by neglecting them, they thrived on it!!! ::)

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
cooper30 said:
Yea, here in Maine it's a serious crime to release any fish into the water.

Like oldmanram said, they grow big and wreak havoc.
A gamewarden came over to my parent's neighbors and told them they had to remove the goldfish from thier outside pond because an eagle could carry one off and lose it in the river. And the kids next door said the G/W said it was a $10k fine per fish, which I thought was a little high, but I don't know for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.