Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i seen a pic of a hard top that had the back half of the roof cut off .... so im going for it.... the 86 is going under the knife ... or saws all .... wish me luck
Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Wheel

Reactions: neil4224

'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
That generation looks so much better like that in my opinion. Just make a toneau cover for the back. Even better, find a way to convert the part of the roof you cut off into a conpy that you could put back on for the winter. 馃憤

Reactions: Panda and neil4224

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have an 88 D100 up here i been useing for parts ... i was thinking of cutting the back of the cab off and trim to fit. im thinking that will be the best and easyest way to do the back wall. and using the inside of the bed to do the sides where the trim panels are now

Registered
That's a lot of work to convert an RC to a truck... when you could have just bought a truck. I like the idea of making the cuts just right to turn it into a half top with the ability to put the top back on.

Administrator
i have an 88 D100 up here i been useing for parts ... i was thinking of cutting the back of the cab off and trim to fit. im thinking that will be the best and easyest way to do the back wall. and using the inside of the bed to do the sides where the trim panels are now
Look at the body/roof lines above the door. Making the two roofs match may be hard. Making the whole truck roof fit may be easier, as in mating the old and new midway up the windshield pillars.

Registered
It looks cool. Measure 50 times and cut slowly. I鈥檇 also go soft top as I know myself would butcher the hard top.

I think your truck is nice as is though. I鈥檇 just reshoot the hood and clear up a ding or two. Would probably take a lot less time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the plan is to cut the top off and use the drip rail. the doors are the same so if i cut it so the back of the cab sits up tight to it and trim the back wall to fit inside the quarters. but like most plans im sure it will change as i go. this is the kind of stuff i do for fun sense i retired. keeps me out of the bars and away from wild woman. the dodge is cheaper. .. and i already have a short box truck.

Registered
Check to make sure the D100 roof line is going to match the RC roof line. We were just having a conversation about a member who needs to replace the front of his roof above the windshield. It was mentioned that the trucks went with a new roof line in 81 but the RC's kept the 70's front roof line.

Someone please confirm what I thought I interpreted...

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Reactions: hacksaw71

'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
You're 100% correct RCC 馃憤

Reactions: hacksaw71

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
was also thinking on just trim the back so it fits inside the B pillers so the RC roof line don't get messed with. the more i think on it thats the way il probly go with. and ya the roof is lower on the truck than the RC

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It looks cool. Measure 50 times and cut slowly. I鈥檇 also go soft top as I know myself would butcher the hard top.

I think your truck is nice as is though. I鈥檇 just reshoot the hood and clear up a ding or two. Would probably take a lot less time.
i have 2 of them ... the other one is much nicer and all stock. rides nice. if i have to go to town or go on a trip. its the rig i take. set the cruzz and sit back and enjoy the ride. this one has a lift on it and is set up for off road. stiff ass hell. its my beater with working A/C .... ya can jump this one and keep on going up the log trail.... lol

Reactions: Lzed

Registered
i have 2 of them ... the other one is much nicer and all stock. rides nice. if i have to go to town or go on a trip. its the rig i take. set the cruzz and sit back and enjoy the ride. this one has a lift on it and is set up for off road. stiff ass hell. its my beater with working A/C .... ya can jump this one and keep on going up the log trail.... lol
I think that RC you鈥檙e going to chop is pretty nice. Ready to see some pics of the process.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts