Dodge RamCharger Central banner
141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Trying to decide. Dual shock hoops ( 80's tech, weigh 40lb) or back to stock single. If I do go back to stock can I re-drill bolt holes in mount and gain a few inches for longer shocks? Will the additional holes affect the mounts strength to much?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Mike... one thing that's not a good combo is a lifted truck with a body lift. Especially with that much.
Your center of gravity gets pushed way up with that set up.
I used a 3/4" body lift to help with clearance... just a little bit. And I could feel the difference.
So be very careful driving it. As you may already know. Hey! I rolled mine too! ;)
Cool Trailduster! And I'm not saying that just because of the 440... well, maybe I am! ;D
Keep us posted on developments.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
Mike... one thing that's not a good combo is a lifted truck with a body lift. Especially with that much.
Your center of gravity gets pushed way up with that set up.
I used a 3/4" body lift to help with clearance... just a little bit. And I could feel the difference.
So be very careful driving it. As you may already know. Hey! I rolled mine too! ;)
Cool Trailduster! And I'm not saying that just because of the 440... well, maybe I am! ;D
Keep us posted on developments.
Yea, first thing I did was pull the 3" body lift after I rolled it 15 yrs ago. I run a 1" body and 4" spring lift now. With all this time I have working from home, I am pushing to get things done so I can get it painted this summer. I put in new Corbeau seats and fixed up the chassis so far. Just need to get the shocks figured out.

jungle said:
Frame looks great, Hows the rest of the truck look now?
Jim
I Like the Hoops.
Thanks, The truck is just primered right now. I think I've decided to go back to a single shock. Those hoops must weigh 30lbs a piece!

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Ramcharger 440 efi, nv4500, 203/205 doubler Dana 60 Ft, 14 bolt Rr 42 in. tsl
102 Posts
Really sweet truck. That's unfortunate that happened. At least you didn't give up on her. Cant wait to see it back together. Yu you swapped 56 inch springs in the back. What are they off of. I also run them and mine are from a 2wd 80s suburban. The center pin is off set so you can flip them around to lengthen your wheel base. Your shackle looks good the way it is as long as the shackle doesnt contact anything when the springs compressed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Very inspiring to see you back after all this time.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
BRACRGR said:
Really sweet truck. That's unfortunate that happened. At least you didn't give up on her. Cant wait to see it back together. Yu you swapped 56 inch springs in the back. What are they off of. I also run them and mine are from a 2wd 80s suburban. The center pin is off set so you can flip them around to lengthen your wheel base. Your shackle looks good the way it is as long as the shackle doesnt contact anything when the springs compressed.
Thanks BRACRGR. I actually went back to stock springs in the rear. I am not planning anymore hard trails anymore, just want to cruise her around now. Your truck looks pretty cable of any trail though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
subwoofer88 said:
Very inspiring to see you back after all this time.
I have had her for a long time. I think I will put her back together one more time for mall cruising duty.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
jungle said:
Anything new?
Let see, since this pandemic started until they called me back to work, I had a little more time to get some things done that I have been putting off for a long while. I went through all front suspension. Put in some Kevlar frame and spring bushings. I installed greaseable bolts. I took off and painted all springs and axels. I went through rear brakes and replaced a leaking axle seal. I fixed a brake problem with a new booster, found a big crack in plastic part of the old one. I replaced a harmonic balancer with a new Dayco SFI unit. Old one had striped threads and 40+ years old. I rebuilt and recurved my distributor to stop some ping problem I was having. The new vacuum advance canister solved most of the issue I was having. I fixed long time power steering belt squeal with new pulley and thicker belt. I installed an small ARB compressor to replace the belt driven pump for on-board air. It doesn't fill as quick but its does what I need. Right now I am working on getting the A/C to work better. Its a kit from Buchillon performance. Just wont cool when its 90+. I am starting to think it never will with the soft top on. Also working on putting the mechanical fuel pump back on and running parallel with existing electric pump. She sits a lot and the electric pump makes startup a breeze but a little noisy. Well that's about all I can think of. I am sure there's other stuff. Amazing what you can get one with some time, which there is never enough of when your working.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
GlennC said:
Hey Mike,
Still have my two as well, will have to get some pics soon...
Hey Glenn, its been a long time! Glad to hear you still have your truck. That Pismo trip was a great time. I want to get back there soon. I just about have my truck ready.
Please post some pic, love to see pictures

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
I've decided to convert to an auto trans. I am getting older and the manual is getting to be a pain in the ass. The BB, 435 and 37 inch tires can make for a beast of an on street driver and that's what I mostly do with the truck these days. For the last 20 yrs I have be collecting parts to complete this swap knowing this day would come but probably don't have everything I need to complete it. I want to complete this swap as cheaply as possible so I am trying to put a budget together and figure out what I can do and what I will need to farm out. Some of the parts I do have are the BB auto trans, when I bought it 18 yrs ago I was told it was rebuilt 5 yrs ago. It needs to have the main shaft swapped to the longer 205 type for my transfer case and I have the shaft. I have a converter, kickdown linkage, single brake pedal. I am pretty sure the mounts are the same and my current drive shaft will work. I know I'll need a flex plate and floor shifter. Anybody with some insight/recommendations as to something I will need or missing? Anything I should have done to the auto trans while apart?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Do you have a transmission fluid cooler, either as part of radiator or separate?

Bucky

141 - 156 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.