Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard a few posts about people "scrapping" the TBI system and computer and going to strictly carbeurated setup. Can anyone elaborate on this? I am considering doing this myself

G

·
You need a fuel pressure regulator, carburetor-style intake, carb, and non-computer controlled ignition like the Mopar Performance package with vacuum advance electronic distributor, wiring and control box. The Edelbrock Performer is a natural fit for 318's. The OEM 360 4V is great too, cheap, but heavy, matches the 360 heads. I use the Mallory single inlet, dual outlet fuel pressure regulator. The second outlet routes to the fuel return line and ta-da, you're there. The computer still controls electrical stuff, so don't toss it, it just doesn't control the fuel and ignition.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, any idea where I can find the Mopar Performance package for the ignition system you mentioned?

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
why are you considering this swap? is your TBI messing up? if you off road your rig at all, you will want to stick with TBI over a carb.

Duane

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because it appears that parts for a throttle body in the year of my truck are VERY expensive and VERY hard to find. I have been looking for a TBI intake manifold all morning, the Dodge dealer want $744.00, another place wanted $1300.00, and no junkyards seem to have them. For that price I may as well convert it over to something I can buy parts for in the future.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
so, yours is broke then?

Duane

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not broke yet. But if I need to replac eit I sure am having a hard time finding a replacement. gen1dak, woul dyou mind helping me off list if/when I decide to make the transition? E-mail [email protected]

·
Registered
153 Posts
jharn said:
the Dodge dealer want $744.00, another place wanted $1300.00,
LOL Theres gold in them there manifolds! I'll sell you a 318 TBI manifold with TB and sensors for $500 hahahaha

87-91 318's are a dime a dozen.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Dont scrap the TBI of your not building an engine for more then say 250HP. The TBI you have (if it runs right) is worth keeping. I have seen and heard talk of some pretty serious off road RC's having a hellofa time on steep hill climbs with carbs. Yes the off road Holley carb is supposed to fix that but it cant touch stock injection unless your lookin for a lot higher HP#'s. All the parts cept for the computer and TBI assembly are really cheap.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I know there is a large favor towards ripping out injection and replacing it with a good old carb, but I had all the same problems with my '90 RC 360 tbi. I chose to bypass the stock ecu with a Megasquirt efi controller. This uses a notebook to tune it and has really improved my RC. I've been able to determine my stock tbi injectors are undersized (think they are about 40 lbs/hr) and tomorrow I am replacing them with 86 lb holley injectors.

I've tuned a fair number of carb'd cars and it is really cool to sit back while someone is driving and 'dial-in' all your air-fuel ratios!

Good Luck which ever way you go!

Bruce

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you give me more info on the Megasquirt efi controller and the Holley TBI's? Sure would be interested in knowing more about that.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
jharn said:
Can you give me more info on the Megasquirt efi controller and the Holley TBI's? Sure would be interested in knowing more about that.
visit (megasquirt.com) on the net. all you need to know about ms there. --sheriff--

1 - 13 of 13 Posts