Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok wana step up to 3/4 - 1 ton axels and lookin aroun people with them ahtink they are sittin on a gold mine i see a lot of older 3/4 and 1 ton gm and ford trucks 4x4 around for sale for cheeper than people wand for just a front axel so if they are from around the same year will ford or gm axels fit a 88 rc??
and what years will work if they do???????
thx
ken

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Ford used a lot of dana 60's. GM, if you're gonna do a GM axle you might as well just go with a 14 bolt, which is there one ton axle. They are dirt cheap. Both however are gonna require a little fabbing for them to go in. Like spring perches and shock mounts that will have to be moved.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Your RC uses a Dana 44 1/2 ton front axle. The typical 3/4 ton front axle is also a Dana 44 (Commonly known here as the Dana 44HD) The only difference between the two is the HD has bigger brakes and three extra lugs. You will not get an increase in strength, if thats what you want.

Both GM and Ford had also used Dana 44 HDs in their 3/4 ton trucks. The GM front axle will bolt into a Dodge. The spring pads are 1/2 an inch wider on the GM axle, but you can make it bolt in. Some GM 3/4 ton axles are not Dana axles. For a short time GM had a Dana clone based on the 10 bolt. It has a round cover where the Dana axles use a stop sign shaped cover.

Ford sourced Dana axles will be too different to work with. Firstly, all Fords use a driver's side pumpkin. To even consider them, you'll have to swap out your t-case to a Ford sourced t-case to match the front output to match the driver's side pumpkin.

Another problem is, Ford stopped using solid axle Dana 44s in 1980. From then on, they used the Twin Traction Beam version of the Dana 44. Later they had a new Dana 50 for the 3/4 tons. A solid axle Dana 50 was introduced after the demise of the TTB, but it still uses a driver's side pumpkin.

If you want a much stronger front axle you'll need to step up to a one ton Dana 60.
Front Dana 60s are highly desired no matter what their source is, that is why they tend to command such a high price. To make matters worse, there are less one ton 4x4s produced as compared to 1/2 ton 4x4s, and those diehards with 1/2 tonners want the Dana 60s.
Again, other than Dodge, the only non Dodge bolt in axle is the GM version. Ford uses the front Dana 60 with driver's side pumpkin, but at least they never came as a TTB axle.

As for rear axles, Dodge Ford and GM all used Dana 60s. With GM offering their own 14 Bolt. (Ford later went with a Sterling axle) I don't know their physical dimensions, but you'll need something that matches your axle's spring pad width.
As compared to the front axles, rear Dana 60s are a dime a dozen. Not only are they under 4wds, but you can find them in 3/4 and one ton 2wds and vans, however not all are equal. Ford is well known to use a semi-floating Dana 60 rear axle in many of their vans which is not as strong as the full-floaters. Van axles also tend to be wider than pick-up axles, which is nice if you want extra stability. Late model trucks such as Dodge often came with bigger axles as well. Besides the Dana 60, you can get a bigger Dana 70 with Dana 80s not being out of the question.

Ed

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
from what ive read, to swap in a 14 bolt from a chevy, the spring perches need to be moved, new brake lines need to be installed, and you will need a new driveshaft. i would imagine a dana 60 or stearling from a chevy or ford would need similar modifications to fit.

Duane

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Most of the 14 bolts from the 80's up were not full floating axle so beware.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
chrysler300le said:
a few 14 bolts in light duty 3/4 ton trucks are semi floaters. all 1 tons that i have seen and most 3/4 tons one do have full floating axles.

Duane

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
CLRracer said:
chrysler300le said:
a few 14 bolts in light duty 3/4 ton trucks are semi floaters. all 1 tons that i have seen and most 3/4 tons one do have full floating axles.

Duane
Not so. I know for sure that all 88 up Chevy's have semi floaters in 1 tons unless they are dually. My friend has I think a 82-84 chevy 3/4 ton with a semi floater too.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
according to billavistas 14 bolt bible on pirate4x4.com LINK it is so.

I Intend to use this article to gather all the info and pics I can find on the venerable GM "corporate" 14 Bolt (14b) full-floating rear axle, also referred to as the 10.5" (after the size of the ring gear in inches.) There are "other" 14b axles out there - a 9.5" ring gear semi-float for one, and even a rare 11.5" ring gear version (I assume full-float?). This article is NOT about them.

The 14bolt is found in a huge number of GM 4x4 pickup trucks and vans, 3/4 and 1 ton, from the 70's right through until at least 2000. You can find it in:

73-96 C20, C25
73-00 C30, C35
73-00 G30, G35
73-00 K20, K25
73-00 K30, K35
84-88 CUCV
88-91.5 V30

and, again from personal experiences, i have seen full floaters in both 3/4 and 1 tons non dually in the 88 up body style.

Duane

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanks guys i will jusr regear my 44 and 9.25

1 - 10 of 10 Posts