Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep. I decided to get my Class A CDL back and start pushing a rig down the road again. It's something I enjoyed doing 20 years ago and I doubt much has changed since then. I will be getting my learners permit in a couple weeks and then my sisters bosses daughter, who owns 3 different trucking companies, is going to let me use a truck of theirs to learn in and use on the skills test. If I pass, which I will, she will then hire me. Probably in their flatbed company. Can't get hired anywhere else in this town it seems like. Not even the fast food places seem to want me so I'll go back to the first job I loved. Good thing is, it pays good money too.

Chris

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Congrats & good luck....  I love driving locally.. I started out over the road & hated it... Guess i'm more of a homebody.....  Currently in the oilfield pullin a saltwater tanker, pays good, home every night.... Hamat not required.... 

Good luck with the tests & enjoy....

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Hit it! CDL is one of them things I would like to get eventually.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
hey congrats on going back to something you enjoy doing. both of my partents are transporters from coast to coast for a living. they haul pretty much any kinda truck just with no freight. great way to see the country.

·
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ledzep_06 said:
hey congrats on going back to something you enjoy doing. both of my partents are transporters from coast to coast for a living. they haul pretty much any kinda truck just with no freight. great way to see the country.
I worked for Schneider National when I drove 20 years ago. I hauled dry van always except for once and that was a reefer trailer. I got to every state in the lower 48 except two (VT and FL) and two Canadian Provinces. One of the things I loved was getting to see the country. If I get through this I will only be driving the western US and Canada this time. I always hated going east so this works for me.

Chris

·
Registered
79 Posts
there are alot more of anti idle areas, I have my CDL A i just cant leave the state only 20 so I haul baby chickens to the farms for 2 of 3 chicken plants in the my area

·
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
powercharger79 said:
there are alot more of anti idle areas, I have my CDL A i just cant leave the state only 20 so I haul baby chickens to the farms for 2 of 3 chicken plants in the my area
I didn't let my truck idle anyway so that wouldn't matter.

I did forget that the Hours of Service have changed since then. I looked at them, not a huge change. I should be able to remember them, lol.

Chris

·
Registered
941 Posts
Are you going to be able to pass the physical to get a health card  ???
I am not trying to rain on your idea, but when I tried to get mine they shot me down do to back problems.  :(

·
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dakotajim said:
Are you going to be able to pass the physical to get a health card ???
I am not trying to rain on your idea, but when I tried to get mine they shot me down do to back problems. :(
Only one way to find out.

Chris

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
Good luck Chris.  ;D

·
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dakotajim said:
Are you going to be able to pass the physical to get a health card ???
I am not trying to rain on your idea, but when I tried to get mine they shot me down do to back problems. :(
I just looked at the regs on the physical. There is nothing there that says the doctor HAS to disqualify you due to a back surgery or further problems.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
wycowboy said:
I just looked at the regs on the physical. There is nothing there that says the doctor HAS to disqualify you due to a back surgery or further problems.

Chris
x2, at least on the old rules I'm familiar with. The rules for disqualification are mainly safety ones for operating the truck safely - eg balance, vision, seizure, passing out, etc.

·
Registered
29,663 Posts
I wish I could just give you mine.Worst job ever.CDL is theone and only thing in my life I regret doing,never thought I'd get stuck in it.If they told me I could quit driving but I'd have to give up my license including the motorcycle license, which I love alot. I would do it without a second thought or regret.
Can't wait until these kids grow up and move out.

There's also an overweight thing on the medical card. I don't know how it works, but I was borderline.I almost failed.They failed two drivers here last year for high blood pressure and from what I understand it wasn't even that high.

and now the point system for violations ,for everything, from a marker light out to log book. I got one for a turn signal burning out as I pulled into the weight station,Ofiicer said he saw it on, then it wasn't and he kne wit was working on the offramp, but I still got the ticket and the point on my record that follows a driver everywhere for every driving job. and it's like the sex offender registration, it doesn't indicate what you did wrong and the severity, just that you did something wrong.
It also affects the company,and enough points they may be required to terminate your employment,all due to things like a 97 cent light bulb.They may temrinate you just beaucse of the "heat" from the DOT you bring on them regardless of who is at fault. They job is just not worth the hassle.

·
Administrator
60,477 Posts
wycowboy said:

Chris
Not the surgery, but maybe any medications that you may still be taking, or any lost range of motion from the surgery.

·
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SuperBurban said:
Not the surgery, but maybe any medications that you may still be taking, or any lost range of motion from the surgery.
Yes, those were there. I may get disqualified from those. It is something I am still thinking about. I may not do this after all. I don't want to pay for the physical and not get the card, that physical is expensive.

herostoryrory said:
I wish I could just give you mine.Worst job ever.CDL is theone and only thing in my life I regret doing,never thought I'd get stuck in it.If they told me I could quit driving but I'd have to give up my license including the motorcycle license, which I love alot. I would do it without a second thought or regret.
Can't wait until these kids grow up and move out.

There's also an overweight thing on the medical card. I don't know how it works, but I was borderline.I almost failed.They failed two drivers here last year for high blood pressure and from what I understand it wasn't even that high.
Nobody is holding a gun to your head Rory, quit if you hate it that much. And don't blame your kids for something you don't like, it isn't their fault, damn, that pisses me off when idiots do that.

I didn't see anything about weight. I doubt it is really there. I have seen some drivers who were pretty hefty, weighed way more than I do. There is a high blood pressure provision. Mine is controlled by medication and is way below the cut off level.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
The weight topic is part of their new sleep apnea screening issues.  Not an automatic fail but leads you down a more involved path.

·
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ToxicDoc said:
The weight topic is part of their new sleep apnea screening issues. Not an automatic fail but leads you down a more involved path.
I have sleep apnea too. Truth is, this is looking more and more like a not so good idea. DakotaJim reminded me of something we hadn't thought about, the DOT physical. I completely forgot about that.

So, that kills it for me. I am not going to try and get the license based on the fact that I am not likely to pass the physical. Thanks for the encouragement guys, I appreciate it.

Chris

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
hey chris why not just call dr who does the dot physicals and talk to them about whatu  got goin on and see if it possible one way or the other cant hurt to call and see... hell last company i worked for barely checked anything for the physical cept the blood pressure.  i know all the mandates are in the FSMC (federal safety motor carrier book) lil green book with every dot reg in it.  be something to get ahold of from this lady u wanna work for she should have it. also why isnt she paying for your physical anyhow ?  tell her u will pay 50 % of it if u fail it ...seems fair if ur gonna work for her anyhow right ?  just trying to give ya some help. trust me i have seen 500 lb dudes climb out of a truck and barely make it into the friggin truck stop breathing so hard thought i would go find the aed lol ;D ...so i think i would pursue this a lil bit more. until u know for a fact ur medically failed ....i think so long as u havent had a heart attack and arent diabetic u should be able to get past the other things ... most of the time, what does u in is multiple health problems ...which i think u got a couple but maybe can be cured as well by some weight loss as well sleep apnea is definitely caused by weight ...sorry man just the way it is ...i know u prolly are thinkin ya right ...anyhow i got my cdl and dont even use it ...sad i know but i got sick of the otr and all the baloney of a big company ...i wish i had an oppurtunity to drive for a small company but it hasnt happened yet ...still lookin but prolly wont happen ..wish ya luck man dont give up just yet  ;)

·
Administrator
60,477 Posts
BrianT said:
hell last company i worked for barely checked anything for the physical cept the blood pressure. also why isnt she paying for your physical anyhow ? ...anyhow i got my cdl and dont even use it ...
Things have changed, now you need the physical to get, or renew your CDL. its on the driver to pay for the physical. wait until you go to renew yours, you'll be surprised. I renewed mine in 09, in pa for 5 years, pa had not gone under the new rules, so I was good, Even paid the $120 for all the hazmat crap. then I moved here to Co., and the only way to transfer my CDL, was to pay for a CDL physical my self, and with the pain meds I was on, And my eye problems, I don't think any doc would sign off.

By reading the trucking forums, it seems the docs are more stringent when its the driver paying, I guess they are not worried about getting repeat business from the driver, as they were from the companies. Or they figure they can get more, by having the driver come back several times.

·
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I appreciate the encouragement and advice Brian. The reason why I am giving it up is the multiple medical problems. Any one by itself is no big deal but add them together and it is bad news. I could still get hired, they do some local stuff with pickuos and vans. Don't need a CDL for that.

Chris

1 - 20 of 30 Posts