Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, my mind may have changed back to the orignial plan. I'm thinking about rebuilding my 360 myself instead of going with a crate engine. I of course have no idea what i'm doing. But i'm willing going. If i can get all the parts can someone possibly help me put this thing together? Or take a look at it when i'm done to make sure its not gonna blow up?

i've got roughly $1600 to dump into parts/machine work for this thing. So i should be able to come up with something pretty sweet. Any ideas? ???

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
What made you change your mind? A crate long block was a pretty sensible plan, I thought, especially with limited time and resources.

Please don't try to build the ultimate hotrod 360 for your truck. A well-built, reliable, torquey engine is what you need.

If you are trying to save a few dollars, that's fine. At least go with a short block and have somebody redo those 360 heads I gave you. The rest is pretty easy.

·
Registered
660 Posts
yeah dude I agree with them. Check on a short block from the dealer, I remember them being fairly reasonable from when I checked them out before. Then get a good cam (hughes of course) and get the heads worked a little. Then you may have enough left to throw on some headers and decent exhaust. That way you are saving a little money by doing about half the work yourself, but you aren't taking on the assembly of all the internals - leave that to the pros who have the time and know how to do it right. But if you want to dive into it, I'll help you out. That way I can take some of the heat in case in blows up!!!

Ryan

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my mind hasn't changed yet. I just figured i could get more for my money (people in the chat room are putting ideas into my head).

But if reliability is gonna be an issue, i'll stay with the long block.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just called up lou grubb dodge, they have a performance short block for like $1100...no warrenty though :-\

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
Define "performance." Will you have to use Premium gas?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think so, the guy said its not street legal, so it probably wont work for me. I guess i'll just get the long block

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hey dude. I called Five Star engines. Check this out. A 360 for your truck would be $749 with an exchange. That is a long block with a new oil pump. It doesn't include valve covers or oil pan, but comes with all the gaskets you would need. It has a one year unlimited mileage warranty with a 3yr nationwide warranty available for $199. This is the company that Tim used for his motor, and he had nothing but good things to say about them.

Their # is (623) 939-0345 and I talked to Chris. Sounds like a good deal to me. Check into it, might be just what you are lookin for.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks ryan, i'll look into them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey, i concure-conkur-konker------ah!-------I agree with Ryan on this. I just had a 350 built from 5 star and I know a guy (real anal dude!) who's had 4 or 5 built by them. He loves them, too!

That $200 warantee includes towing & rental car reimbursment and it's transferable if you sell your truck. This is labor for install, I don't know if you drop it in yourself. It was about $2500 out the door with install, new harm balancer, RV cam, radiater power flush, & they fixed my oil guage. Worth it!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think i'm gonna go with the dealer 360. Its a good build that i know my truck is going to be happy with. And it should last me a long long time. I'll be installing everything myself (maybe with a little help? ;D)

i still have to get the tranny and tcase out of the truck, have them rebuilt. order some rear lift springs. put lift on, go through the axles, get new tires, get driveshafts balanced, and put it all back together.

As well as all the other crap under the hood.

should all be worth it though :)
Hopefully it will be running by christmas

·
Registered
343 Posts
Looks like a big "to do list", ah just take your time. Get it done a little at a time. Still got my to do list on the Big Yellow, it will get done in time.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
look what i got tonight..

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
360 cubic inches of bone stock mopar goodness

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
Sa-weet. you're gonna love it.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
after the tranny and tcase rebuild, lift, gauges, maybe a little paint in the engine compartment, some wiring work..and a bunch of other crap. Late September/early October

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.