Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a question for yall that I've been thinking about. Could I possibly get rid of the crappy CAD setup on the front axle altogether? I know people have locked them and put lock-outs on them but you still got the stupid two piece long side shafts. I thought about taking both the shafts out,just putting the CAD over back on and put a long side shaft from a non-CAD Dana 44 in it,put a new joint and the stub shaft back on,install a set of lock-outs. Then I could take the stupid vacumn ball off along with all the lines that run to the t-case and all. Could this be done like I said or would there be big problems you reckon? Thanks for any help on this,oh this would be done on a 90 Dodge W150 if you need to know. Thanks

Jimmy

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I can't see why it wouldn't work, but for what it is worth you might as well find a full time axle and swap to the part time outers.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well there ain't a bunch of full time front axles with 3.55 gears in them,I know the axle under this truck is in good shape,and I wouldn't have to replace ball joints,both axle joints or anything like that,my grandpaw has a big a$$ pile of axles(all 1/2 ton)at his house so I could just go yank a shaft and be set :)

Jimmy

Jimmy

·
Registered
29,686 Posts
you guys are forgetting one thing / whats gonna hold the gear lube in / the seal on a CAD is between the spindle and CAD / the long side non-cad axle aint made to seal there / there is a company that makes an axle to do this but at over $300 bucks l,ll keep the CAD

·
Registered
119 Posts
who needs axle seals, let it leak and carry a bottle of dope with you at all times.... i bet if you took it apart and looked at it you could figure out a way to make a one-piece work. its been done before. some guy was selling a '88 W150 on ebay and i asked him some questions about it and he said he replaced the cad with a one piece, but he said he had the machine shop make a some sort of piece for him? its been a while since i talked to him... i'll try to find this guy's email for you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts