Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help gettin a few exh mani bolts out. whats the eazyest way to get them out?

·
Registered
30,099 Posts
are they broke off in the head or just rusted and a socket wont fit

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Soak'em forever with PB Blaster, pray, soak'em some more...Answer Bogger's question.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
is it the bolts or the studs??

i just had this problem with the studs on a set of heads. double nut them, soak them real good with some penetrating oil of choice and pray they dont break

eric

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
If there is still enough there to get a set of vise-grips on; let the engine run up to temp, shut it down and turn them out. Same as heating it up with a torch.....just easier

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the motor aint in my rc yet got one that has enough to get vise grips on and the other 3 are broke off almost flush

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Be careful NOT TO BREAK the EZout or reverse drill bit in the stud. If you do, it's hardened steel and then you're really hosed. I've broken my share of them and paid for it.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
You are not alone in having made that astute observation jto...

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well yall im screwed i broke the ezout off so now it looks like im screwed.... any ideas on how to get it out? or do i just say screw it and sell the rc and the motor trans and all to the junk man??????

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Rebel Ram said:
well yall im screwed i broke the ezout off so now it looks like im screwed.... any ideas on how to get it out? or do i just say screw it and sell the rc and the motor trans and all to the junk man??????
chad, take a good close look at the eazy out part that is broken off. are there any little ridges on it that you can get a small punch onto? if so take a really small punch and try tapping the eazy out loose, remember it is a left hand thread, so drive it out like you were tightening a regular bolt.

if that doesnt work, you will have to get a really small drill bit and drill a few holes around the outside of the eazy out until you can work it loose. it will not be a quick or a painless job, it is going to be a royal PIA, but it can be done. just do not get pissed and make sure you take your time.

after words, you will probably either have to have the hole filled, redrilled, and retapped, or if you get really lucky, you may be able to drill it out a bit and use a helicoil to repair the hole.

if you couldnt tell, JTO and smokey are not the only ones that have had this misfortune occur

eric

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
last time i broke an easy-out i threw a tantrum ,beat the crap out of it with a punch and shattered it-i should mention the flying pieces are like shrapnel so wear safety glasses

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
man this sucks i cant get it out no way so i guess im gonna have to take it to a machine shop..... hope they can get the dam thing out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Two things:
1. Last time I broke an easy-out off was on the front stud on the driver's side of my 360. The hole is open at the back, so I was able to hammer and punch it out the back. Then drilled and heli-coiled. The time before that on the passenger side, the same except I had enough hole left to re-tap (no heli-coil). For a hole NOT open at the back, it's a real chore trying to get that easy-out removed (see multi-hole technique in above messages or my item 2 below).

2. A machine shop will either do one of the above repairs, or some have an electric arc "burner" to clear the hole and then they can re-tap.

I've tried special weld-on studs to connect to the old stud and remove it and various other things to no avail.

John

·
Registered
810 Posts
If the hole goes into a water jacket, you may be able to punch the EZ out through the bolt with an air hammer. I have also seen this problem solved by heating the bolt with a torch until it is cherry red and then squirting it with water. It pops out in hot little pieces.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You can also take a hammer and chisle and work the bolt out. I have done this to the exact bolts you are talking about. Put the chisle on the left side of the bolt and start tapping it with a hammer. It may start backing the bolt out-Like I said it has always worked for me.

·
Registered
196 Posts
http://www.extractit.com/

No, I don't think you should go to this extreme. It just helps explain what you are dealing with.
And by no means am I going to tell you, "I warned you". I still have the capabilities of shearing a bolt and breaking another one off in the stud. Been there, done that, probably do it again...

Anyone want to join an " I HATE EZ_OUTS " club?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
jto said:
http://www.extractit.com/

No, I don't think you should go to this extreme. It just helps explain what you are dealing with.
And by no means am I going to tell you, "I warned you". I still have the capabilities of shearing a bolt and breaking another one off in the stud. Been there, done that, probably do it again...

Anyone want to join an " I HATE EZ_OUTS " club?
i will join the i hate ez outs club, i have only ever gotten them to work one time and that is just cuz the bolts that snapped off were extremely loose in the holes, i have found if there is the least resistance at all invariably the ez out will snap off.

eric

1 - 18 of 18 Posts