Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right forum for this. I was thinking about pre magnum 318 factory performance.

So is the Shelby Dakota the only factory performance vehicle where the 318 was the top option(it was 175hp, 270tq)?

Were there any 318 cars that had a better 0-60 than the Shelby?

Has anyone ever looked into using the electric fans from the Shelby on the full size trucks? I'm surprised it only added 5hp, and no TQ(at least advertised).

Did the Shelby(and other TBI 318's) have the same type of v belt set up that my 83 has, or do they have a serpentine belt?

My factory 4bbl 318 is only 165hp with 360 heads(allegedly), and I thought it was the top performing pre mag 318. I didn't know the TBI had 170hp, that really sells me on the 302 heads(the compression boost, and 25tq help too).

Again I am not sure if this is the right place for this, but I don't know a better one.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
I know of no L/A motors with the serpentine belt system , the magnum was the first for that . 318 L/A's were used in marine , with better cams and 4 bbrl carbs , but in auto's it was factory 2 bbrl , now that's not to say shelby didn't install a 4bbrl on them , but that's not factory just because it was sold by a dealer .To my knowledge, it was not done at the dodge factory , like GM'S copo's were . The Shelby dak was only fast because of its weight to power ratio . A '92 factory mag dak is probably faster . 

·
Registered
750 Posts
318's or teens' as they are often referenced as are the reliable horse in the stable, not the big Clydesdale, but one of the most reliable engines in mopars fleet.  They frequently run for many many miles if the oil is only changed on occasion.  If you keep them maintained appropriately and the oil changed appropriately the will run forever. 

These motors were never a performance option.  The Shelby used it as dodge82273 mentioned for power to weight.  The slant 6 was similar in weight and longevity (my dad actually put a piston through the side of one and drove it for over 200 miles before it locked up).  The /6 didn't have the V8 allure and was missing the added 25 to 50 horses/pound feet of torque. 

You can make them performance based, but for the money to put in them you are better off starting with a 360 or even going to a big block.  Depends on your budget though.  The next question is are you responsible enough for anything over 350 horses?  ;)

Neil

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
All '90 and '91 Dakotas with the 5.2L used a serpentine belt, but that is the only LA series I am aware of that did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.