Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 90 rc with a 318 n 33s daily driver/offroad weekends need a good idea for gears

87 d100 had the slan6 in it w/ a833trans now with a 440/727 combo need grears for this but not a clue what to go with this one its a 2wd might get some bigger tires for the rear. im not sure yet might just go with the stock 235s that on it right now.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
For the 90 you'd want to go with 4.10's because you have overdrive and can go lower without killing your highway mileage

For the 87, no clue because you didn't say what you want to use it for or tire size

·
Registered
365 Posts
he's right

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
4.10's with 33's is to much, what if he is gonna tow something, then he is stuck doing 50 mph because he can't use OD, i gotta ask you guy's do you forget you have low range, leave high range so everything works correctly on the street and then if you need more gearing off road use low range.

On the other truck is this a drag thing? or tow vehicle? (the 440 2x truck)

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Marty, there are situation where low range doesn't do you any good off-road. In the dunes you need some low end power to get going, but you should gain momentum going up the dune (or you just dig yourself in), so you'd need to shift to 4 HI during your climb, which is not possible.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
i agree with 4.10s and 33s on the 90. i will be going with 4.56s and 35s in my 90.

Duane

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Exactly , so you wouldn't want low range you would keep it in hi, but 33's in 1st with a 518 and say 3.55's is not gonna be a problem for a RC to climb a hill from a stop, or a slow roll, but a RC with 4.11's and towing is gonna suck if it could have been done with 3.55's rather than 4.11's and limited to 50 mph the entire journey.

I have 4.11's and 35's and i wouldn't go to 4.56's.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Evildriver, why did you say that he couldn't use overdrive when towing? As long as the RPM is correct, what does it matter if you use 3rd or 4th?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
You like your tranny, then don't tow in OD, if you don't like your tranny and want to replace it then tow in OD

·
Registered
810 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
You like your tranny, then don't tow in OD, if you don't like your tranny and want to replace it then tow in OD
Can you explain why?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
When you're towing you're not accelerating quickly but you are adding work thru weight and the trans isn't turning quickly and the pump isn't moving fluid quickly but you added work, so you add heat and the od slows everything down in front of it including fluid and everytime it changes in and out of od it adds more heat and slows the pump and cooling, it's also not good to let the od go in and out when not towing.
To trully see the effects get a tranny guage from auto meter and you can watch the difference in heat build up, don't use the od while towing.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
When you're towing you're not accelerating quickly but you are adding work thru weight and the trans isn't turning quickly and the pump isn't moving fluid quickly but you added work, so you add heat and the od slows everything down in front of it including fluid and everytime it changes in and out of od it adds more heat and slows the pump and cooling, it's also not good to let the od go in and out when not towing.
To trully see the effects get a tranny guage from auto meter and you can watch the difference in heat build up, don't use the od while towing.
I agree whole-heartedly. Towing in OD is a sure-fire way to trash a 518. If you could keep it cool, that'd help, but the OD unit on the tranny isn't built for that much work, so it still wouldn't last long. Now a Gear Vendors OD.....

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok sorry bout that guys my 87 with the 440 is like a street/strip truck. i was thinkun like 3.55s

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Do you mean street strip as drag race? if that is a yes see what you cross the line at and adjust the rpm by that you want to cross the line at your peak. That is how you should pick that gear if that is what you mean, if not be specific in what you want

·
Registered
365 Posts
bicker bicker bickker ;) everyone has an opinion what i did was look at this chart and see what fits you best and keep in mind you might want to go up or down in tire size in the future

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tirel_Gear_Ratio.asp

at least look at it
ken

1 - 15 of 15 Posts