Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running 3.21 gears in the 88 stepped up to 33x12.5 and the power loss is really getting on my nerves. I want to kick the gears to 4.56 just incase I want to go with 35-36's so is all I have to get changed is the ring and pinion gears it seems to easy and while I'm in there I want to instal the ez lockers or something similar.
ken :-\

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Yup....just a "simple" ring and pinion change.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SWEET and from looking at the how to's it looks like I can do it rather than paying someone to I hope thanks kyot
ken

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you have a D44 on the front the carriers are split...you will need a new carrier ( for 3.9 and up) or find a company that makes the thick gear.

Tim

·
Registered
231 Posts
By split, I mean they use a different one for your gearing (the 3.7 and below) and low gearing (3.9 and up)...You can buy a new carrier or a thick gear set, but only some company's make them. I think I saw them at ring-pinion.com in the thick gear. Research it, you need some special tools and you need to do it right. Most people suggest you go pro to get it done. I haven't done it yet, but I am too thickheaded not to try so when I get ready to I am going to do it. So let me know what probs you experience,
Tim

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Tim I will look into that before I go jumping in and muck stuff up :eek:
ken

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What crap what kind of parts house is closed on weekends dont they know thats the only time a working man can get some time with a R/C. so tim i went to ring-pinion they only had the 4.27 in thick and offerd the 4.56 in standard so i will call on monday and see how bad they are going to rape me but if it was cheap and easy then everyone would do it.
ken

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
You stepped up to 33's from what size tire? and what brand 33 did you use

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Oh yeah is this street driven? if that is a yes might want to forget the 56's unless you have od

·
Registered
769 Posts
My stock gears with 33's pisses me off. I have absolutley no ower after 2nd gear. I can barely get up hills. I usually have to slow down to like 20mpg so I can downshift to second. It really pisses me off. I want gears.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hope you got about a Grand to spend on it. Call Randy's Ring adn Pinion. They have all the info you need. If you never have done one, you don't want to run the risk of loosing your investment and then starting over. Have a pro do it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
here's a good question. i'm thinking of running 4.56's with my truck, with like a 37" tire i have a big block with a normal 727 with just a shift kit, will that still be good on the street or should i run a higher gear?
shawn

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
4.10s would be all id go with 35s and a 727 that is street driven, maybe 4.56s if u play off road A LOT. if ur gonna stick with 33s, go with 3.92, if u think u might step up to 35s go with 4.10s. this is if u have a 727. if u have a OD tranny, then u can go lower, like 4.56s with 35s, 4.10s with 33s, etc. and murdoch, 37s and 4.56s should be ok.

Duane

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
some general info on the gearing issue:

think about what you want to do with your rig, then go to the Randy's Ring & Pinion Website and punch in some numbers in the RPM calculator.
Stock tire size for RCs was, as far as I know about 28". Gearing on the 727 in 3rd is 1:1, on ODs probably something around 0.8:1.

Another website to get some good calculators for R&P, tire size etc is http://www.4lo.com.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Usually in the driver's door there is a sticker with all the info...mine came with 235/75s which is about 28-29"

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Grayguy said:
My stock gears with 33's pisses me off. I have absolutley no ower after 2nd gear. I can barely get up hills. I usually have to slow down to like 20mpg so I can downshift to second. It really pisses me off. I want gears.
Are you sure that is the problem? if what you are saying is true then you should be able to grab 2nd at 45 mph if not then you have other problems.

i'm thinking of running 4.56's with my truck, with like a 37" tire i have a big block with a normal 727 with just a shift kit, will that still be good on the street or should i run a higher gear?
I wouldn't go over 56's on a street truck, i might say try 4.30's. depends on how you drive also if you want to cruise at 70 i would stick with 4.30's

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes my truck is a everyday driver just around town once in awhile I hit the highway usually not more than mabey 20 miles at a time. I stepped up to 33' super swampes tsl's from 31's and am going to swith to bf goodrich all teranies once I get around to mounting them (sitting in my drive way right) now the reason I'm saying 4.56 is I'm using the chart from 4wheelparts.com go under customer service under faqs click on "will my new tires effect my rpm?" I want to stay in the green and and according to the chart it will let me go all the way op to 36' tires in the future if I wanted and when I step on the gas I want it to TAKE off not any of this working up to 40 and 45 I got kinda a heavy foot when leaving a stop.
ken

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.