Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 87 RC with a Dana 44 front and dana 60 rear. It has a 360 under the hood and soon to be 8 inch skyjacker lift with 37's. Now I'm currently geared at the stock 3.23... I plan on taking the RC on moderate offroading but also doing the ocassional driving and towing. What would be the best overall gearing for those applications and were would I find the parts I need to convert that will fit my RC? Thanx for the help guys, this place rocks!!!

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I wouldn't go beyond 4.30's, problem is though i don't know if you can get 4.30's for a d44, any place selling gears, summit , jegs, 4x4wholesale

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
A 4.10 gear set will put you basically back to stock (29" tires and 3.20 gears). 4.56 is a little more power and gets you about 300 higher rpm, which is probably not wasting a lot milage on the highway either.
You can also call Randy's Ring & Pinion. Very nice folks, very helpful, very good stuff and fair prices....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I just called them and they suggest 4.10s and for the whole kit(F&R Ring an Pinion, Overhauls kits, and new Front carrier) its 580.00. Is that alot?

santak said:
A 4.10 gear set will put you basically back to stock (29" tires and 3.20 gears). 4.56 is a little more power and gets you about 300 higher rpm, which is probably not wasting a lot milage on the highway either.
You can also call Randy's Ring & Pinion. Very nice folks, very helpful, very good stuff and fair prices....

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Sounds fair to me. If it makes you feel better, I have a quote for 3.9s that's just a tiny bit below that, around 565. :)

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
You will be fine with 37's and 4.10's my truck has this set up I turn about 2300 at 60-65.You didnt say if you have a auto or manual trans which willl make a diffrence at lower speeds due to the ratio diffrence between them but either way you will be ok. ;D

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
if u will be on road more than off, the 4.10s will be a great choice. if u will be off road more than on, the 4.56s wouldnt be bad.

Duane

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
CLRracer said:
if u will be on road more than off, the 4.10s will be a great choice. if u will be off road more than on, the 4.56s wouldnt be bad.

Duane
You forget you have low range alot don't you

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
CLRracer said:

Duane
You forget you have low range alot don't you
yep sure do. i just completely forget about that 2.72 low range everytime i go off road ::)

no marty, i am well arware of low range, and use it all the time. and i stand by what i said. just because u use 4.10s doesnt mean that everyone should.

Duane

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
You just want everyone going slow to make up for the fuel consumption

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
guys this is not helpful in anyway to the discussion. If you have different views and want to argue about them in this way, then make it up via email or some other mean of communication.

Everyone in here stated his point of views, and each one has a right to one, even if it differs from your own. In the end it boils down to what cco175ranger decides on what's best for himself. So be objective and state your point, back it up with a fact and let others voice their opinion as well alright? This thread is strictly to get cco175ranger some facts so he can make an educated decision, nothing more nothing less. Keep it at that, alright? :)

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
HE STARTED IT!!!! ;D ;D seriously though, here is a chart to tell u what rpms ull turn with which tires with which gears. it says that with a 1:1 manual tranny ratio, 4.56s with 37s will put u at 2700 rpm, and it says to add a little if u drive a auto. according to that chart, that is the gear they would use for the best gas milage.

Duane

1 - 14 of 14 Posts