Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know anything about geared hubs? I was wondering the other day why Hummers have so much more ground clearance...so I looked it up and it's because they have geared hubs.
Now I'm pretty sure that Hummers have independent suspension and don't have live axles right?
I've never seen geared hubs on anything with live axles and I was wondering why. Do you have to have a special axle to do it or could you just buy a geared hub kit for certain axles?
I guess my biggest question is, can you put them on our trucks? ;D

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Geared hubs aren't common on regular light duty trucks but they have been used for years on big heavy industrial trucks, agricultrial tractors and a few monster trucks.

The advantage of geared hubs is that they allow for additional low gearing and torque multiplication at the hubs rather than in the drivetrain. This allows for lighter drivetrain parts.

The Hummer uses geared hubs in it's IFS and IRS for two main reasons. It allows the CVs in the axle half shafts to run with less angle and provides a means to operate the vehicles central tire inflation system thru the hub assy.

Other types of axles that have geared hubs are portal axles such as those found in Mercedes Unimogs.

In the case of monster trucks, agriculture vehicles and industrial vehicles, they often use a planetary gear hub assy.

Ed

·
29,380 Posts
Since we're on the subject...
I have reduction boxes on my dune buggy, they came out of an early model bus. Ground clearence is awsome, low rearing is awsome, ride is TERRIBLE! When my foots in the gas...the rear end actually raises (stiffining suspension).
Anybody know why Hummers don't have this problem?

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Mag said:
What would you need to put some gear'd hubs on an RC?
a set Unimog axles? :)

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Yeah, as Thaxton mentioned, all the old VW vans had'em on swing axles...

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome....

The view of the Unimog's front suspension clearly shows the live axle and coil-spring suspension. Note the portal axle, i.e. the axle tube is much higher than the centre line of the wheels, thanks to the hub-reduction gears, which allows huge ground clearance. Water to 1200mm can be forded without special preparation. A central tyre inflation system improves cross country ability on soft ground.
This would be so bad ass on a RC but I don't even want to know what those axles cost. :-[

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
a good used one from a 404 Unimog? Around 1K for the steering axle and a little less for a non-steering. Check out http://www.killeraxles.com for more info

·
Registered
846 Posts
Mag said:
Anybody know why Hummers don't have this problem?
Weight? Independent suspension?

What would you need to put some gear'd hubs on an RC?
for one thing the axles spin backwards to make the vehicle move forward. mogs use like a triple gear hub to make the axles and wheels turn the same direction.

one problem i've noticed it alot of vibration at high speeds in humvees due to straight cut gears in the hubs.

shawn

·
Registered
846 Posts
Mag said:
one problem i've noticed it alot of vibration at high speeds in humvees due to straight cut gears in the hubs.
That makes sense....I guess straight cut hub gears don't last very long either huh?
they tend to start leaking and then burn up. i've changed quite a few of them. they are built pretty well if you take care of them.
Shawn

·
Registered
780 Posts
the geared hubs are ok if you keep them lubed properly. Its when water or the wrong oil gets in them that they burn up. I dont think its the strait cut gears in the hubs that make them vibrate, I think its a lack of balancing tires that makes them vibrate.
I read in Petersons (I think) that there was a company that was welding brackets on the ends of ford 9 inch axles that would accept the geared hub ass'y, so you could have portal axles.
Another benefit of Portal axles is that you dont have to make the axles or driveline so beefy, because they dont see as much torque as a strait axle does.
C.J.

·
Administrator
60,717 Posts

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
IIRC, on of the magazines did an article about portals in the last year. They mentioned Volvo is making them also. Not sure, but I "think" they liked them!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts