Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gear Vendors splitter : over $2k

I needed this for 3 reasons 1. to be able to speed without turning insane rpms 2. for keeping the motor in the optimal range for pulling lots of weight 3. mpg at a higher speed.
It has done all 3 extremely well, and i have had no problems with it either, except for 1 time while off-roading a huge rock thrown buy the tire knocked off a wire to the speedo cable sensor, but that was entirely my fault as i never figured on flying debri's.
Install on this involves alittle more money for the new rear driveshaft, now is the time to get the good sealed slip yoke design, and depending on the truck it's going in you may have to notch a crossmember and do alittle welding as i had to because my splitter replaced the half shaft, and carrier bearing so i needed to notch the crossmember that was previously for the carrier bearing. As for the rest of the install it was unbolt and bolt up, wiring was all done by the wiring harness they send you, and it was a simple process, the hardest thing was the computer control for the splitter unit it is not tiny, but no huge if i remember correctly it's like 10"x 5".

There are pictures of this as well in the truck section, also a Dealer installer for GV in N.Y.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A U.S. Gear is a predjudice new Dodge truck only, but old sheds and ferds are ok, i had quite a long discusion on the phone with them about why they wouldn't make it for my truck, just 1 question there Mr.Snow, how was it breaking i have had 15k lbs behind my truck was it from weight or something else?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dodge78 said:
What was the increase in MPG?
Lol the increase was time, same mpg at the same rpm, but 10mph faster, or i should say the decrease was time

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My splitter is also behind a stick, a np435 no problems with it at all, but i know to split you can't be in gear or on the gas, what i do is quickly hit the spit switch push it out of gear before it engages and then back into the gear it was in split, or down a gear or up

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It splits the gear in your trans, what it does is it takes lets say the final gear since it is easier to understand of 1 to 1 meaning for every 1 turn on the motor side it turns 1 time on the rear end side, so at lets say 65 mph you are turning 3,500 rpms, now you put the splitter between that and add it's 0.79 (im not sure of the actual gearing in the splitter it's been awhile), when you split that gear it will turn less rpms at the motor yet still give you the same mph, kinda like giving you a gear inbetween each gear, what it does is add the 0.79 to each gear, there is a picture of it with the trucks pictures in the trucks section

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually splitting each gear you are adding to it, so it would turn less rpm at the motor in turn saving gas

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes you could do such a thing, also using lighter wheels will help with the accel problem too, tires also.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On a Automatic trans you can shift it anyway you like since the converter deals with the engagement, on a MANUAL you either have to be in the nuetral position or clutch disengaged. Again in other words, you may not be off the gas, not on the gas and in gear, definitely not in gear during engagenment with a manual trans.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah it's kinda like crashing gears

1 - 9 of 9 Posts