Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gear Vendors splitter : over $2k

I needed this for 3 reasons 1. to be able to speed without turning insane rpms 2. for keeping the motor in the optimal range for pulling lots of weight 3. mpg at a higher speed.
It has done all 3 extremely well, and i have had no problems with it either, except for 1 time while off-roading a huge rock thrown buy the tire knocked off a wire to the speedo cable sensor, but that was entirely my fault as i never figured on flying debri's.
Install on this involves alittle more money for the new rear driveshaft, now is the time to get the good sealed slip yoke design, and depending on the truck it's going in you may have to notch a crossmember and do alittle welding as i had to because my splitter replaced the half shaft, and carrier bearing so i needed to notch the crossmember that was previously for the carrier bearing. As for the rest of the install it was unbolt and bolt up, wiring was all done by the wiring harness they send you, and it was a simple process, the hardest thing was the computer control for the splitter unit it is not tiny, but no huge if i remember correctly it's like 10"x 5".

There are pictures of this as well in the truck section, also a Dealer installer for GV in N.Y.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just a note to all you guys who own diesel's - our company installed this on our Dodge dually used for over the road hauling- this was a manual trans truck - we had the unit fail at least 10 times (our diesel was modified)- my dad first had one on his '84 RC, never had a problem- so if you have a gas motor you should be ok- otherwise check out competitve unit from U.S. Gear- have heard good things about these-glad it worked out for you evildriver!

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A U.S. Gear is a predjudice new Dodge truck only, but old sheds and ferds are ok, i had quite a long discusion on the phone with them about why they wouldn't make it for my truck, just 1 question there Mr.Snow, how was it breaking i have had 15k lbs behind my truck was it from weight or something else?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dodge78 said:
What was the increase in MPG?
Lol the increase was time, same mpg at the same rpm, but 10mph faster, or i should say the decrease was time

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would like to know what made it fail as well. I have a friend with one in a 99 Dodge Cummings 2500. His failed once also. Gear Vendors warrentied it, but told him you can not coast with the unit in overdrive or it will burn up the bearings. To be in overdrive the unit has to have torque applied to oil properly. Since then no problems and he pulls about 12000lbs on a 5th wheel.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My splitter is also behind a stick, a np435 no problems with it at all, but i know to split you can't be in gear or on the gas, what i do is quickly hit the spit switch push it out of gear before it engages and then back into the gear it was in split, or down a gear or up

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have one in my 97 Ford F350 Dually Diesel (7.3 powerstroke) and all I can say is MAN, what a difference! used to cruise at 60 mph at 2000rpm (4.10 rear). Now I can cruise at 70 and still do only 1800 rpm. Last time I drove out to Phoenix from San diego, I drove like an old woman (cruise control at 65). I got 24 mpg with a 6000 pound truck. When I was hauling the 5th wheel from IL to CA, I would get a consistent 14 mpg pulling 12000 pounds. Well worth the money in the long run.

Bob

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It splits the gear in your trans, what it does is it takes lets say the final gear since it is easier to understand of 1 to 1 meaning for every 1 turn on the motor side it turns 1 time on the rear end side, so at lets say 65 mph you are turning 3,500 rpms, now you put the splitter between that and add it's 0.79 (im not sure of the actual gearing in the splitter it's been awhile), when you split that gear it will turn less rpms at the motor yet still give you the same mph, kinda like giving you a gear inbetween each gear, what it does is add the 0.79 to each gear, there is a picture of it with the trucks pictures in the trucks section

·
Registered
222 Posts
And this is something you engage and disengage so it changes your gearing in relation to your stock gearing? And it sounds like it gears it up so that when you are using the splitter you increase gas milage, or is it the other way around, giving you a lower gearing for more power to the wheels?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually splitting each gear you are adding to it, so it would turn less rpm at the motor in turn saving gas

·
Registered
222 Posts
OK, cool. So what someone might want to do is change out there diff gears for something more aggressive, then install a splitter kit so that you can run in a more economic gearing on the highway, but switch back to a lower, more aggressive gearing when you need it? That sounds great! Even with these 33, I feel I could use a gear kit on my '84 to get a little more acceleration out of the thing, but I know I get such bad gas milage as it, I'd really eat it if I geared it down.

Thanks for explaining it!

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes you could do such a thing, also using lighter wheels will help with the accel problem too, tires also.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I just noticed you guys said you couldn't shift the unit while you were in gear or on the gas.....who said that? The guys in Santee California where I got mine said I could activate it with my foot to the floor. I tried it a couple of times, but I didn't like the way it shifted. On the automatic version for the fords, it unlocks the torque converter, shifts, then locks the converter back up. I asked why this was and he said otherwise it's like a land mine going off under the truck shifting it with the torque converter locked. I usually take my foot off the gas when activating it myself, but only because I hate hearing the torque converter slip before it locks again. Is this what you guys were talking about, or something different?

Bob

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On a Automatic trans you can shift it anyway you like since the converter deals with the engagement, on a MANUAL you either have to be in the nuetral position or clutch disengaged. Again in other words, you may not be off the gas, not on the gas and in gear, definitely not in gear during engagenment with a manual trans.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
ah, gotcha....

Bob

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah it's kinda like crashing gears

1 - 18 of 18 Posts