Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a wheeling question for you all. I have a 76' Ramcharger with a 318, stock, fulltime 4x4. I am wondering if different gears will get the truck to really dig in when wheeling. If so what gears would you recommend. Also within 1 year it will be running about 35's. Thank you guys for any help you can give me. :)
-Jamie

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
depending on what you have right now (tire size), for 35s I'd probably go with some 3.90s for an highway/off highway vehicle and 4.10 or even 4.56 if it's mostly off highway. If you have something around 31" tires right now, then your engine will rev pretty high with 4.10 going down the highway, which means your top speed will be somewhat limited and your gas milage won't be to great...but milage isn't really an argument if you drive a truck like that anyway, right?

oh, and welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
hey jamie,

welcome to the best site on the net. got some pics of that 76? same year i have

as far as gears, like santak said, if it is mostly used for on road with some occasional offroad i would go with the 3.90's with those 35's.

i will be upgrading to some 33's sometime in the future on my RC with 3.55 gearing and while i will lose some off the line power it will only be running about 2700 RPM at interstates speeds. and if i ever manage to get my engine finished then it wil have enough power to make up for that little loss at lower RPM's. so i will end up having a good balance of take off power as well as an economical ratio for interstate running.

if oyu are like me and do both onroad and offroad i wouldn't consider going alot higher than those 3.90's but that is just me

eric

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
I've got 4.10's, 35's and a 440, and seems like a great combo on the highway for a Ramcharger. You can cruise at 70mph and run about 3000 rpm, for off-road, it's still entirely too high. I'd even consider 4.56's for a daily driver rig with no OD, and 35's, that would put you pretty close to the highway rpms of a stock 3/4 ton with 4.10's (3000 at 65 mph). But I tend to error on the low side, I can't strand being under geared.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Yea if you're mostly street stay with 3.90's, those are plenty for street and the trail. If I ever get the money to upgrade gears I'm getting 3.90's for my 35's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have a 81 power ram and im runnin 35's with 4:56 gears and they seem to be pretty happy to gether but im lookin into 44in' boggers but upgrade my 8in lift to a 13so.. 410 or 456 gears should do justice for ya ;D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yoy know i am 5'2 so i have short person syndrome so I have always wanted to go big but considering how much money it costs after all the crap you have to do to compensate I think i will go 35's max. That was my mature decision for the year. Thanks to all you guys.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I know the feeling...After my body work and paint job my 85 is getting a 5 inch lift and 35's.  Of course I plan on getting 4.10's.  Then I want to start on the RC....ahhhhh!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts