Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ones like lock-right, how do they work?are they any good and how hard are they to put in?

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
I've heard alot of people complain about diffs. Personally while at work today, I removed and replaced the gears on a 9inch and a 12 bolt in about 3 hours. Of course it was removed fromt the vehicle and clean. It can take the average garage dweller like myself with the diff mounted about 3 hours if things go good.

Good is the eye of the beholder. It depends on what you want to get out of it. I would venture to say that a limited slip is probably what you are looking for you should be able to accomplish this around 300 to 500 dollars.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
The gear less lockers are exactly what they say, gear less. They use clutches to "lock" the axles, and therefore they'll wear out. The thing thats nice is that they're cheaper than a detroit, but the cost you'll pay rebuilding it would be better off spent buying a detroit in the first place. Unless you're a master mechanic, messing with the gears isn't something you want to do. You'd be better off going to a shop. I know cash isn't flowing freely for you, so heres an idea. I know at DCTC the automotive classes do that stuff, go there and find out if they need any vechicles to do that stuff on, provided you buy the stuff. My bro goes there and was going to do my gears for me, but I decided that I'd rather pay the extra$$ and have a shop do it. Only reason is that its warrantied than. I'm a pretty competent mechanic, but when it comes to gears or anything to do with the rear end, i'm just not that brave. :-\

·
5,141 Posts
I know people who have been running lockright for years upon years and had no problems with them.

You DO NOT have to mess with the gears to install one. All you have to do is pull out the carrier, remove the spider gears, install the locker, and put the carrier back in.

I am willing to say that you will never have to rebuild a lockright. I would also go as far to say that you could have one installed in less than 2 hours if you are good at pulling your rear end apart.

And for limited slips, they are only good if you plan on staying on the road. If you wheel your truck, don't waste the money on a limited slip, buy a locker.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree w/ TD79 on the limited slip...I still have mine and if I get opposite tires off the ground (FR&RL) it's useless...then things get dirty since I don't have a winch (yet)
Tim

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Ok, TD, if your truck CAME with a lsd, how do you tighten it up? I am not spending the $$ to put a locker in my s10. ;D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am very happy with my gear less locker. It was very easy to install in my d60 i did not even have to pull the carrier! just slide the axels out. It does not have clutchs and is very similar to the lock right but the teeth do not rub when it unlocks. witch makes it smooth and quite . I am very happy with it in my daily driver. and it works much better off road then my old limited slip even with new clutches.

But i did have a problem with it after about a year i think the spring wore grooves in the center pin . it would not lock up some times .It was covered under warranty.

G

·
phoenix827 said:
Ok, TD, if your truck CAME with a lsd, how do you tighten it up? I am not spending the $$ to put a locker in my s10. ;D
Arc welder! ;D

That is what I would do with an S-10 diff.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
LOL!! And drive from CT to PA like that? If it wasn't 90% streea I might, but this thing doesn't exactly have the strongest axles in it to start with. (might still be an idea tho!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts