Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will need a new gas tank in the near future. As I look, the options are limited.  I have a 77 RC with a 5.9.  Has anyone found a place that sells them or other options of what to replace them with?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Best option is to find a good used one. Easier said than done.

I have a W150. Mine was hard to find. Saw some going for $450. Luckily found one for $125 but took some time.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Black77Ramcharger said:
Does anyone know if there are any substitute tanks that will work? Found a 79 dodge truck tank and a 79 trailduster tank, I would have to buy the whole project trailduster though.
The mid frame mounted tank from a pick up absolutely won't fit - they barely fit under 4wd shorties. The rear tank from a pickup with dual tanks would probably work but finding an RC tank would be easier. I'd say do the boneyard crawl for a pre fuel injection RC plastic tank. Around here the yards drill holes in them to drain them but your mileage may vary and there are ways to fix that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Agree with RWG75.

Best bet is good used. Either from salvage yard or beat the bushes and find a guy specializing in old school Dodge 4x4. That may be hard to find because they are few and far between. I’m in Los Angeles and hit CL, local swap meets, and finally can on a couple of leads but still took me to San Bernadino and Bakersfield.

eBay has them from time to time, between $250-400. I didn’t see the pricing for the member who is building them, but that would be a consideration.

My W150 came with a functional fuel cell in the bed. It worked but I didn’t like it because it was ugly and took up premium bed space. Like you, I had a functional short term solution. So you can use the time to search.

When you get one, use your old sending unit if it is still good. That’ll save some headaches and several dollars.

·
Premium Member
8,085 Posts
Jim, sent you a PM. I'm running a Walbro fuel pump that sits inside the fuel tank. My current factory tank is leaking, so looking for a better option if you still make these.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.