Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was filling up at the pump and after about a gallon the fuel filler neck started spitting up back at me.

I've dug in there and actually disassembled the fuel filler neck and didn't find anything. My next guess is to disassemble the gas tank from the car and see if there is a foreign object.

Only problem is I don't know how or what tools I'll need.

What to do?

·
Registered
545 Posts
The breather tube that runs alongside the fill tube coud also be the problem. Check to see that it is clear also.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
What year and make vehicle are you talking about?  Different years have their own parts and different ways to disassemble.  Sometime in the 80's they started using a piece in the filler neck to prevent people from sticking a siphoning hose down into the tank to steal gas.
  Might have a foreign object caught in the filler neck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its an 86 RC royal SE 4x4. Sorry. forgot to say that. Yeah what is that breather tube all about?

How can I disasemble that? I believe there is on. Its right above the filler neck and about 1/2 inch in diameter. metal too.

Can anyone point me to a diagram or something about how to disassemble these things?

Totalnoob.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I had a similar problem with my '87 Dakota, I could only fill if I trickled the fuel in extremely slow, way slower than even the slowest notch for the auto hold. I figured it was something in the filler or a clogged breather like others have said, mine turned out the ball they put in the line to keep gas from spilling in a roll was catching on it's holder wrong and plugging it up, took dropping the tank 3 times to find this was the cause.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts