Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Big Mo,we took the gas tank out already,put a brand new sending unit in it,checked all the lines for holes or blockages. Sealed er back up and stuck her back in,got it to running and going. Had one small leak in a hose,fixed that problem. But the gas guage STILL doesn't work,I've always had the problem be the gas tank. Now the gas tank pressurized BIG TIME. When you let the pressure off of the gas cap on a regular truck they usually hiss just a tiny bit,this truck,it'll about blow up its hissing so bad,and fumes going everywhere and the tank is swelled up big time! When the pressure is off it'll come back down to regular size.Let it sit and build the pressure,and right back to the same thing,I've checked all the lines and vents close around the tank,put a new gas cap on,everything. I can't figure out my problem with it blowing up like that and whats the problem with my gas gauge not working? Any help on either of these things would be great!! Thanks

Jimmy

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
is your cap a vented type???? that may help a lot

·
2,317 Posts
did you check where the vent exits up by the cap in the filler neck?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to PG for moving this topic for me,I checked the vent that exits by the cap,looks clean,also I bought a brand new vented gas cap also hasn't helped yet. Does a vent run somewhere way up under the truck or sumpin? Also why would my gas gauge not be working,thanks for all yalls help

Jimmy

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
is the vent hooked up to the tank properly???? not sayin you didn't do it right but i am just covering all the bases. if it hooks to the sending unit could the port be blocked somehow?? as for the gas guage did you test the guage when you put the new sender in??? the guage or wireing could be bad.... i had a bad ground on my 77 VW and the guage never read at all... i knew it worked because when i hit the key it would cycle for its test deal and not work after that.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I am really interested in this. My TD does the same thing. I am waiting for it to explode.

·
2,317 Posts
jimmy, could the vent line got pinched when the tank was installed? maybe try to feed something down the tube or use low air pressure and have someone listen at the tank to see if it comes thru. as far as the gauge, not sure. maybe bad ground.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There should be a vent on the top of the tank that runs along the frame with the fuelline. It is a metal line as well. My truck has this line and it goes up to the charcoal canister under the hood. For the gauge, mine did the same thing, and I ran a new ground and used a grinder to clean the frame where I bolted it in. Now my gauge is working properly. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I've heard the charcoal canister thing is quite common, but I don't have one and I just can't figure this out. I really hate to have to drop the tank. PIA!!!

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Make sure the ground strap between the frame and gas tank is connected/has good connections. This groud is needed for the sending unit to operate...as well as keep static electricity from blowing up your rig when you fuel up.... :eek:

As to the pressurizing tank, has to be a plugged/pinched vent line.

-SM

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just got through taking my tank off, replacing all the hoses
and resealing the sending unit. What I found when I lowered the tank was a pinched fuel hose (the one to the fuel pump). It was pinched between the tank and frame. When I put the tank back and strapped her in, I made sure these hoses were clear of the frame and tank. Reach up over the frame on the sides and see if your hoses are moving freely. My 78 RC is configured to where the hose connection toward the passenger side of the sending unit supplies the carb and the hose more toward the front and center is the vent. The vent runs up and over the axle and then hangs down. This hose almost got pinched when I put my tank on and I had to move it up above the cross member above the tank, otherwise it would have been pinched in between the tank and the cross member. This may be what has happened. Just reach up over and see if these move freely. Hope this helps.

kybishop

·
7,995 Posts
I sent you an Email with a couple of pics from the parts manual for the gas tank. As for the gauge...take the power wire off the tank sender unit and ground it for a bit while someone watches your gauge, if the gauge does not move than the problem is in the wiring or instrument cluster and we can look into that further with the use of a wiring diagram.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts