Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that 92-93 pickups with the 5.2 or 5.9 with the manual 5 speed got the NV4500.Is that true?If so what needs to be done to the transmission to go behind a diesel?I thought the NV4500 was only in the heavy duty offerings with V10's and diesels.If one can be found in a normal gasser then I could find the transmission for $50 at the local pull and save.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yes the NV4500 was used behind gas engines in '92 and '93, even the 3.9 V6 4X4s.. :eek:  The input and output shafts have to be changed to be used behind a Cummins with the stock 29 spline transfer case. The gas 23 spline shaft is weaker than the 29 spline Cummins shaft and won't work with a 29 spline NP205.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about using the gas 23 spline with my automatic 23 spline 205?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
RedneckInTraining said:
what about using the gas 23 spline with my automatic 23 spline 205?
That works just fine as long as your don't turn the Cummins up alot, if you do the shaft will twist in two, much over 500 ft-lbs and you are asking for it, over 600 it's doomed.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much tweaking do you have to do to get the cummins up over 500 lbs?

I have a BHAF,HX35,slightly tweaked pump(fuel screw turned 1 turn,idle screw turned two turns),a piston lift pump.Other than that I plan to put a 4" downpipe,and make a different crossover pipe from the turbo to inlet because the stock piece is really restrictive.Would that put me over 500 lbs?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
RedneckInTraining said:
How much tweaking do you have to do to get the cummins up over 500 lbs?

I have a BHAF,HX35,slightly tweaked pump(fuel screw turned 1 turn,idle screw turned two turns),a piston lift pump.Other than that I plan to put a 4" downpipe,and make a different crossover pipe from the turbo to inlet because the stock piece is really restrictive.Would that put me over 500 lbs?
Been many years since I sold my last Cummins truck but I'd say your close to 500 if not over.

The biggest factor will be how you drive, I can break parts without even trying because I tow heavy loads and have no mercy with the go peddle, if you don't dog the crap out of it all the time it should be fine.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't tow that heavy.I think the heaviest I have towed is 6-7K lbs.

so then to attach that transmission to my truck I need: 2nd gen bell housing,1st gen clutch setup,1st gen flywheel and then a diesel input shaft?then 1st gen pedal assembly,1st gen MC.anything else other than drive shaft length and cross members?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
from what I understand I need a 2nd gen starter,a 2nd gen flywheel,2nd gen clutch assembly,2nd gen adapter plate.Seeing as most likely I would be using a gas NV4500 could I use a gas MC and slave?Also will my 23 spline NP205 just bolt up to a gas NV4500?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I used a gas nv4500 in my conversion.  It was a lot cheaper than the diesel ones, almost as strong, and it's a hell of a lot easier to find cool transfer case set-ups with the 23 spline output shaft.

The 23 spline came with the diesel automatics, but sticks have a lot more shock load if you drive like a moron. 

If you are keeping things mild, get the gas nv4500 and change the input shaft, bearing, bearing retainer and seal.  It's not that expensive and fairly easy to do.

If you are going crazy, spend the bills and get the diesel nv4500, or better yet a double reduction road ranger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.