Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just about the only thing that i have not seen anyone talk about on this forum. however, with gas prices going the way they are here in Colorado, and with my RC getting about 13mpg city/wighway mixed, i was wondering if anyone had some relatively cheap tricks to increase gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I know it is a concern but I will be very honest with you and say the reason that most folks drive RC's is not the gas mileage and if you are looking for relief from poor gas mileage is is just not gonna happen to a really significant extent.

There are things you can do that you probably already know about like going easy on the gas pedal, tune your rig as good as you are able to, headers maybe will help, jetting your carb leaner maybe, but bottom line is that you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Mac

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
As said, 13 is pretty good for a heavy rig with a small block. About all you can do is keep your foot out of it.

-SM

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Loose as much weight as possible...I got 15 mpg once on my rc, that was the first time I ever drove it on the freeway at 70 mph. Never got anything higher than 13 after that.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
uve been here since november and havnt seen any posts about gas milage? u must not check in very often. u could probably do a search and get 60 or so hits for the past few months. but they will all say the same thing, u want gas milage, get a honda. if ur gettin 13 now, thats pretty good.

Duane

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
hmmm lets see for gas mileage, go to a 318, put a four barrel on it, keep out of the secondaries, put in either a clutch style fan or an electric fan, lose as much weight as possible, headers may help

still you are not going to see much more than 15-16 tops

eric

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
intenseimages said:
hmmm lets see for gas mileage, go to a 318
if an engine swap, may I suggest a Cummins? At least the older 12v get better milage than any V8 I know of and the swap has been discussed numerous times on here.

·
Registered
584 Posts
When I bought my 75 W200 w360 2bbl/NP 435, it got about 13 on a good day. Many years and $$ later, I feel good getting 10. These things have the weight of a locomotive and the aerodynamics of a boxcar!! Its been punched out, headered and fourbarreled to the max. Crappy mileage, sure, but the cool factor is still great!! ;D (Don't let it out, my daily driver is a 4 banger Cavalier :eek:).

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
santak said:
intenseimages said:
hmmm lets see for gas mileage, go to a 318
if an engine swap, may I suggest a Cummins? At least the older 12v get better milage than any V8 I know of and the swap has been discussed numerous times on here.
good point santak

eric

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
well not to rain on everyone's parade but i get about 19 on the hiway and 13 in town. all thanx to the 2.94 rear gears in my lowered r/c. i run 15x8 steel wheels w/ 225/70-15 tires. my 318 is punched 30 w/ a 280/420 cam and edlebrok dual plane and no choke.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I hate to admit it here but my daily driver is a Camry 4 banger with a 5 speed. ::)

webbcraft2150 said:
When I bought my 75 W200 w360 2bbl/NP 435, it got about 13 on a good day. Many years and $$ later, I feel good getting 10. These things have the weight of a locomotive and the aerodynamics of a boxcar!! Its been punched out, headered and fourbarreled to the max. Crappy mileage, sure, but the cool factor is still great!! ;D (Don't let it out, my daily driver is a 4 banger Cavalier :eek:).

·
Registered
368 Posts
my ford is getting about 4 to 6 in town and 8 or so on the highway, and this is my daily driver, I would be happy to get 10, but thats not possible.

·
Registered
729 Posts
lol id kill for 10 mpg lol

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
The original window sticker for my 90 RC says 11 city/13 highway.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Well, I posted these ideas once before but if you really want to improve your mileage CHEAPLY then:
1. Only drive downhill. No exceptions.
2. Install a mast and sail of at least 160 square feet.
3. Run a jib for highway speeds.
4. Only drive with the wind at your back.
5. Remove all parts used for braking. Too much drag.
6. For all use where you must go uphill, or drive without use
of sails, then trailer the rig with a Dodge diesel pickup.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
I can get 17 out of my '87 318 2wd (big key) at 75mph. A quick and easy way to improve your mileage by 1 or 2 points is roll up your windows! Use your vent system on those days where it is nice out but not hot enough to fire up the A/C. Of course if you drove at 55 mph you would probably see 17 too but would die of embarassment!

Not cheap but will work, ditch the stock dist and coil and go talk to FBO (4secondsflat.com), overdrive tranny if you don't already have one, ditch the 4:10s and put in 3:23 or something, basically get your cruising rpm down to 2000-2100 rpms. Getting your rpms down will help quite a bit but you will have to drive a looooooooooong ways to recover that money.

Cheers

Chris

1 - 20 of 25 Posts