Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my 84 ram charger 4x4 on a road trip this weekend. it has a 360 four barrel 600 eddlebrock with headers and daul exhaust and 33" mudder tires on it and 3:21 gears. im just wondering whats the average gas milege is on it. because it got 240 miles to a tank on the highway is that good or bad or average? thanks

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
lil on the low side should be over 300 at least ...time for some gears ...why i wont run 33's on a daily ...i got 31's and seems to do ok on the mileage ...my old 360 RC was the same minus the headers and did over 340 to a tank ...i dunno man ..get it tuned up a lil.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
smaller jets in the carb wil do wonders...i am sure u are running the jet size that came in the carb. try detuning a lil bit on the carb

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya im thinkin im gonna downsize to 31's since it is a daily driver and its never gonna see mud any ways but thanks for the tips

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Geez, that's only about 7 MPG.  I think my Ramcharger with 35s and 4.10s and stock 318 does better than that, lol.

·
7,250 Posts
How big is your gas tank? Most RC's got a 35 gallon tank which means you got about 7 or 8 if your tank was almost empty when you filled up. But, if you have the 20 gallon tank, rare but I have seen one and heard of a few others that got them, you got about 12 MPG. Once again, that is if your tank was almost empty upon fill up. 12 MPG is about normal but 7-8 sucks.

Chris

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya unfortunatly i got the 35 gallon tank and ya the tank was a hair from being empty. and ya 7-8 mpg is terrible cost me bout $150 canadian in gas for this gas huzling bastard!

·
7,250 Posts
Its never going to get great gas mileage. My last RC was an 85, 360, 600 Eddy carb, true dual exhaust, just like yours except for tire size. I had some 32" tires on it and some 3.55 gears. I got about 10-11 in town, usually 10ish. I got 12 on the highway, on a real good day with a tailwind, 13.

Give your engine a GOOD tuneup, plugs, cap, rotor and wires. Get some good stuff, not the cheapest, at least mid-level on price. Rebuild the carb and I would use the Edlebrock kit. Its about $50 but you know its the right one and has the right parts. Figure out what jets and rods it has in the carb and go one step, from the factory ones, down on both. Leave the secondary jets alone.

Thats how mine was set up and got me the mileage I got.

Chris

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
The best way to tell for sure next time is fill it up and divide the gallons into the miles driven. Then you will know for sure what you are getting.  ;)

That's about what my W350 would get is 9-12 360 4 speed. I did get 14 with the bed loaded with tools, clothes, and all my "stuff" on a trip home from a 6 moth work trip in FL back to PA once though.  ;D

I was told that an Eddy 500CFM carb will feed a 360 just fine and get better mileage. I used a 500 Eddy on a built 318 and got 18 on the highway with 3:23's and 33' tires.  {noclue}

·
Registered
858 Posts
I don`t feel to bad any more getting 9-10mpg with my R/C  360  4.10 with 37s. That trip was a trail riding one.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
The '80s and '90s Ramchargers all have the same tank, which is actually listed as 36 gallons.  US gallons, that is.  The '70s Ramchargers had a smaller tank available, but not the later models.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i dont beleive i have any dead cylinders the truck runs perfect no missing no rough running has lots of power. i think im gonna give it a good tune up and i am gonna down size on tires when i get a chance and ill give the carb some attension aswell

G

·
In 2000 we took the rc from here (cortland,OH) to charlotte,NC and we didnt fill up til we were about 10 minutes outside of charlotte. Thats about 530 miles and 15.2mpg at about 75-80mph the whole trip. Not too shabby IMO. ;D

·
Premium Member
8,081 Posts
Elwenil said:
Geez, that's only about 7 MPG. I think my Ramcharger with 35s and 4.10s and stock 318 does better than that, lol.
No kidding! My 6,000 lb big block w/38's gets 10.5 mpg. That's at 60-65 mph and nearly 3,000 RPM. If I slow it down to 55 mph the reduction in RPMs brings the mpgs up to 12. Not to mention my ears don't ring quite as bad when I get to my destination. :D

·
Registered
497 Posts
I wonder how much gas was actually used in the 240 miles?  Some mopar gas gauges will register empty with quite a bit of gas left in the tank.  Miles per gallon is the only valid way to compare vehicles.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
What we really need here is some hard facts.

If people can provide this it will help a lot, especially if anyone can go burn a tank of fuel with their truck and give us these stats!!!

What kind of vehicle? Ramcharger, 1/2 SWB-LWB, 3/4 SWB-LWB, 1 ton SWB-LWB
What size engine
What size tires
What gears
How many miles
How much fuel

Lastly, if you can get this info. How heavy was the truck with a full tank? That way we can compare how much weight your carrying around an how it might effect mileage.

My 85 RC with 3.23s and a stock 318 and a good tune up sitting on 31 BFG A/Ts would get 14 mpg. That was with my tools to emergency fixes and a couple duffel bags of clothes. Last I drove it with no tune up and squishy old tires it would get 11-12 city and freeway.

My 90 1/2 ton SWB got 14 once an averages 11-12 with a 3.55 gear a TBI 5.9 sitting on 31 BFG A/Ts. The 14 was on the way to UT on a straight flat where I poked at 55-60. I was loaded with camping gear and tools. It had a basic tune up and fluid change prior to the trip.

·
29,538 Posts
mopar65pa said:
The best way to tell for sure next time is fill it up and divide the gallons into the miles driven. Then you will know for sure what you are getting. ;)
X2, this is the only way to get close to being accurate. Also, did you change your speedo gear? If not, your odometer is going to show less miles than you actually traveled.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i didnt change the speedo gear and i know something went wrong with my calculations cuz when i had my old 360 in it with the stock carter carb i did my milage and i got 9-10 and with the new motor and the eddelbrock there is a big difference its alot better so somehow i screwed up somewhere.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts