Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my oil keeps filling with gas. i did an oil change on it and like 2 days later i check my oil its past full and it smells of gas. so a couple weeks later i changed it again and it did the same thing. i drive the truck everyday and i havent flooded it while trying to get it running it al ways starts fine. and also when i let off the gas quick when im doin over 60 the thing backfires like a shot gun could it be the adjustments on the carb or could it be a weak ingition system or what? btw its a 84 ramcharger 4x4 with 360 4 bbl. im putting another 360 in it but if its the ignitiojn system or the carb i dont wanna screw up the new motor with this problem

·
Administrator
60,751 Posts
What carb do you have? If its one of the holly pieces of crap, I've seen them dump gas right into the intake, causing gas to get into the oil.

could also be a fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
You have a fuel leak!  Pull your spark plugs and look at the condition.  If they are sooty black then the carb is dumping massive amounts of fuel into the intake.  that fuel then runs down the cylinder wall (washing off all of the oil=massive wear on the rings and cylinder walls) and into the sump.

If the plugs look ok, then take a look at the fuel lines running from the fuel pump to the carb.  They could be leaking and it is finding a way to drain into the motor under the intake.  Also fuel pump may be leaking but I  am not sure it could make its way into the oil pan from where it is located.

And just for kicks, the oil doesn't look like chocolate milk does it?  Most oil after a bit of driving picks up a nasty smell.  Chocolate milk means your coolant in leaking into your engine= head gasket or intake gasket.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sound like the diaphram in the fuel pump is cracked. It's letting pressurized fuel into the front cover crankcase area. If it was a carb problem, the engine would be running so rich that you would see the effects out the tail pipe, not to mention the rough running engine problem.

·
Administrator
60,751 Posts
Macho4x4Warlock said:
Sound like the diaphram in the fuel pump is cracked. It's letting pressurized fuel into the front cover crankcase area. If it was a carb problem, the engine would be running so rich that you would see the effects out the tail pipe, not to mention the rough running engine problem.
Thats what we thought the one time, but it turned out the cheap holly carb was dumping so much raw fuel, right into the intake, that it was probably only affecting one cyl. we only noticed it when we looked straight into the carb, and saw the fuel just pouring right into the intake.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
any carb can do that not just holley carbs!

I have had 3 eddy crocks do it even after rebuilds!

its called wear n tear

·
Super Moderator
14,089 Posts
A factory-styled fuel pump at NAPA cost me $19 a couple years back.  I would look at changing it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts