Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Gas Cap Failure

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  moparPW200guy 
#1 ·
Yet another reason NOT to move to Albuquerque, NM if you own a vehicle more than 6 years old:

Howdy,
I took my 76 RC to get emissions checked on Saturday past. Passed emissions EXCEPT for the gas cap. They have a new check on gas caps here in Albuquerque where they connect a hose to the cap. The hose generates a vacuum and it is supposed to detect a leaky cap. My cap is less than a year old, a locking gas cap.

The idiot doing the testing told me, "I recommend you get this kind of gas cap". and he showed me a threaded gas cap. My gas cap is the old bayonet style twist on cap. I said, "They are not the same cap!" I could not get it through his skull that a threaded cap would not fit my old RC filler neck. I could have appealed this but then I would have to take a day off from work, go down to the city owned testing stations and wait in line to file my appeal. (Only open Mon through Fri)

To make a long story short, I don't have a receipt for my current gas cap to prove it is less than a year old, so I went out and purchased a new one so I can hopefully pass inspection. Re-inspections are now an additional $10.

What really pisses me off about all this is that instead of mandating that the gas stations put those rubber boots on their gas nozzles like they do in more advanced states they passed a law requiring individual gas caps to be checked during emission inspections. I guess they feel more fumes escape via bad gas caps than during the act of filling up. Who really knows?

Just thought I'd throw this out there and maybe those of you in other states can fight stupidity like this if it ever rears its head in your state.

Mac

See less See more
#2 ·
we have the gas cap testing AND the rubber boots at the pumps / here in MA they only test caps that screw in/ anything older than 84 dont hafta pass nothing just safety / l think the guy was a dik and did it to you to be a dik

#3 ·
Same thing here in AZ. When I have to take my daily driver through I always have 3 or 4 extra caps with me. That way ya dont have to deal with a dik. Just give him another cap out of the box and tell him to try that one. Usualy he realizes that youll just keep giving him caps unlit it passes. (The depressed look is worth the cost of the caps :) ) Are my horns showin yet? lol Wyatt

#4 ·
Sledge, I think you are onto a good idea there so I collected about 10 gas caps that will fit on my RC and put them in a small box. When I go back I will run a gas cap train on him until he gives in. ;D

Sledge said:
Same thing here in AZ. When I have to take my daily driver through I always have 3 or 4 extra caps with me. That way ya dont have to deal with a dik. Just give him another cap out of the box and tell him to try that one. Usualy he realizes that youll just keep giving him caps unlit it passes. (The depressed look is worth the cost of the caps :) ) Are my horns showin yet? lol Wyatt

#5 ·
Whew! Sorry to hear about that...

but, you can all feel free to move to Cherokee County if you so choose to...

What's this testing all about?? :) We have none...:)

JS

#6 ·
I guess in the summer, they have some high pollutions levels of gasoline that has evaporated into the air so they clamped down on vehicle gas caps.

This is from the same state that wanted to mandate putting breathalyzers on EVERY vehicle registered in the state, new or used.

I hear they are going to bring that up in the legislature again this January too.

:mad:

AdventurerSport said:
Whew! Sorry to hear about that...

but, you can all feel free to move to Cherokee County if you so choose to...

What's this testing all about?? :) We have none...:)

JS

#8 ·
they just started that here to, I got a new cap, put it on for the test, then took it off, and saved it for next time ;)

#9 ·
we have both here but thankfully all but oneof my vehicals is emissions exempt. the only one that isn't is the cherokee and its got a dealer issue locking cap so its all good. gotta take it through emissions here in dec.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.