Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my fuseable links blew out and according to my service manual you are suppose to connect a 'jumper wire' to the main power source and the fuseable link that blew. I did that. it seems like that fuseable link gives power to all my gauges and ignition system. once i "jump" the wire and turn the key to the 'ON' position my gauges work but the lights are really dim and the jumper wire starts smoking and turns red untill all the plastic is melted off the wire. it seems like i have a short? somewhere? anyone have any ideas on how to fix this.
see pics:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
What guage wire are you using for the jumper? If you have a short it is time to thinking about rewiring!

·
29,389 Posts
lukem80 said:
12 or 14 gauge. takes about 30 seconds for it to burn through. what would cause a short like this
Most likely a direct short to ground, no clue where though.
One important thing to remember, if you burn up a fusable link, there is usually a good reason for it, so you should find the problem and fix it before adding another f-link.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i guess i need to trace the wires thru and see where they go to find the short.
man thats gonna be a real pain in the ass. I hate wires. my next truck is going to run off vacuum everything! HA

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, this is an 87, i only let one burn up, it didn't seem to harm the other wires. you know of any good places to check for shorts? thanks for your future help.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
damn i had the same thing happen to my 86....mine happend while driving.....just shut down,,,,,,no power.....smoke filled the cab........had a small fire under the hood,,burt up all the vac lines......the f-link head??...went all the way there the wire harness,......and under the dash.....took out part of that harness too......i gave up checking the wires to many burnt/stuck together.....i did get it to run.......but it wasent right,took it to my mech,.....and for a mere 450$later it was all fixed!!!! lol.........good luck!!!!!!

·
7,995 Posts
Do you know what color the original fusible link was?It would help for diagnostic purposes.:) Second, remove the electrical tape from the harness clear back to the firewall connector and inspect wiring. Third, check the wiring on the back of your alternator for problems. Fourth, you might also check the ignition switch connector/s on the steering column for burnt wires. When I get home I will try to post some wiring diagrams. :)

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
was that going to a dark blue factory wire?
looks like the same one that blew on my 85.
Was with a previous owner though so I can't say where the problem was, I just know that fusible link has been replaced with an inline fuse'd jumper wire. And no, I don't want to re-start the fusible link vs. inline fuse arguement that was covered recently.

·
Registered
223 Posts
When I bought my 86 I had an F-link fried. It's the one on the far left of the harness.....I think.....I don't know what it ran but, I just left it and everything seems to be fine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for everyones help. Chump, i will check all of those things you told me about. I don't know what original color of the link was? but i know its the top one(far left) that atleast runs my gauges and maybe more stuff. I have just replaced my voltage regulator, with a mopar replacement, it was just plug and play. i recently replaced my intake and carb, and went to a orange box ignition but it ran fine for weeks untill it just quit and smoke filled under the hood. I checked the wires coming out of the steering column and none of those are burned. it just got the fuseable link.

it was the fuseable link that connects these two wires (in yellow)

·
7,995 Posts
Look inside that molded black connector and see how many wires were originally in there...could be 4 or 5? I have to go take care of some personal business so I need to leave, I'll be back on later. J10 we know is an ignition circuit but I dont think I have a hard copy 87 FSM to look in...I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
4 fuseable links. the far left fusiable link(the one that burned up) joins into two separate bigger wires that run somewhere(gauges and maybe ignition). It also keeps blowing "Horn" fuses for some reason every couple of weeks. I work 100 miles away from the truck and won't be able to play with it till Friday/Saturday.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
If ya find theat ya need some wiring harness let me know. I have an 87 R/C parts truck that may have what ya need. [email protected]

·
7,995 Posts
If you have only 3 fusible links going to 4 wires than that's a problem also. You need to have a seperate fusible link to each circuit. The fusible link is similar to a slo-blow fuse in that it can carry spikes in the current load better. Lets get them seperated and then see what happens. Run 2 seperate 20ga fusible link wires from the Black 10ga wire that you have the insulation stripped off of and run the other ends seperately to the 2 wires that go to the cab. You can just twist them together for now and see what happens. Sounds like someone may have worked on this wiring before.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
blowing horn fuses too huh?
my horn was disconnected when I got the truck. It would also blow fuses when I hooked it back up. Tracked it down to a short inside one of the horns. Replaced them and no more fuse blowing.

Don't know if that was related to the replaced fusible link or not on mine or yours, but there's another parallel between the two.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts