Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I was helping my buddy yank parts off of a 73 Ford F100, and it has a 4spd in it that shifts pretty nice, and I'm getting tired of my old pos Auto. So my question is, didn't the big three share the np435? Only the ratios were different, as well as the input shaft, correct? But the housings will bolt up to any bell-housing in existance, right? I was thinking about ripping out that tranny (It's a 4x4, btw) and transfer case, and chucking the t-case, and seeing if I could mount the tranny in my beast. How much machining would I have to do to get it to fit? Lemme know, and thanks
Also, I'm getting a 9" rear end from the same beast, and probably am going to rebuild it, and either put it in mine, or sell it. Is this a good idea? ???
Matt

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SO it will be a direct fit? No mods to the tranny whatsoever?? HELL YEAH!!!! YEEEHAWW!!!!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Like I said I know the bell housing is different as far as the input shaft goes I dont know. Take a clutch disc for a Dodge and see if it goes on to the shaft. Also measure the (Damb it I can remember the name of the bering in the crank ) and make sure its the same size.

·
Registered
17 Posts
www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ np435.htm
Check out this site. It's mainly geared towards converting the 435 for jeep use, but give differences between the furd, generic motors, and dodge 435's.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So will this bolt up to my truck or not? I don't want to waste my friends gas or time. The tranny in question is in a truck 30 miles away, in the town I go to school in, and we have it almost out, so I need to know before next weekend for sure. Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
If I may piggy back off this topic... I probably won't do this, but if I wanted to, is there a bell housing that could bolt a ford C4 tranny to a 360 engine? My dodge has a 3 speed auto right now, and it would be nice to have an overdrive.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
the C4 is just a 3spd auto as well... they didn't start doing the 4spds untill the mid to late 80s witht he AOD.... ihad a C4 in a coemt and it only had 3 gears. what i would do is just loook for the 4spd auto that came in the dodges.... makes life a little easier than going ford..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts