Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchesed a 77 M880. I am planning on upgrading the tires to 33's or 35's. I know that the fulltime Dana 44 fronts have some issues. Are there any mods that I can do to help it stand up to the larger tires.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Mosier engineering and several other places make stronger axles you can buy and upgrade. As far as internals and any other suggestions I am not sure.

·
5,656 Posts
just grease the bearings and save up for a dana 60, i have 36" Hummer tires on my M880 and i don't have any problems yet, and i have a 440 big block in mine

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i an currantly rebuilding parts of my D44 in my 77 PW.... as soon as i can afford to ,like ProjectM880 said, i am getting a D60 to put in there... that way no need to worry about ANYTHING!!!

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
The big issue with the full time Dana 44 are those unit hubs and their tightly spaced bearings. If you use a rim that has too much offset, most of the tire and rim mass will unevenly load the bearings and cause accellerated wear. The bearings will live longer if you use less back spacing to keep the mass of the tire and rim centered better over the bearings, but you may run into clearance issues with the tire and inner fenderwell or frame. As far as I know, there isn't a better or upgrade for those unit hubs, except to remove and replace them with the standard external hubs.

Ed

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
redm880 said:
Would it be possible to upgrade to aftermarket external hubs and just keep them in the locked position and still run the np203 in fulltime operation?
Yes you can get lock out hubs and just keep them in the locked position, by why? There are regular Dana 44 axles which use a full time drive flange in place of the lock out hubs and these were found on Ford GM and Dodge. The big problem with it, is you'll need to change the lug pattern at the rear axle to match the new lug pattern for the front if you do a knuckle-out swap to get rid of the unit hubs.

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts