Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '78 trail duster has full time 4wd. the t-case selections are 4wd, hi-loc, 4 low, 4 low loc, or something like that. I'm wondering what the diff is between the choices, mainly 4 low and 4 low loc. It took alot to get in 4 low, and when i got it there, it seemed like it was in 2wd, but low. I guess I'm asking what kind of t-case it has, and what the different choices mean.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
You have a NP 203 transfer case which is full time as you know. To allow full time operation on hard surface, it has a differential much like an axle built into the transfer case. So power is sent to the axle with the least traction( front or rear). When you select HI-Loc or Lo-Loc, the transfer case locks the differential and sends equal power to both front and rear axles.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i got a problem when i am "seriously" offroadin, my lo-loc jumps off, so that its no more in loc position, i had to at
the same time hold it with hand in place in order to move in bad terrain. where could be the fault? is it just worn or is there any easy-fix to this. oils are renewed (10w30).

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
well one person i know added some metal into his floorboard of the cab and some of the extra metal got in the way of the shifter linkage and with worn bushings in all in certain situations it popped out of lo-loc alot. I'm sure thats not your problem. Wouldn't hurt to check your linkage and adjustments though. Other then that i'm not too experienced with the NP 203

·
Administrator
60,711 Posts
You can replace the bushings, they are the same ones that come in the hurst 4 speed rebuild kit, that will cure the sloppiness, which can also be the reason for jumping out of lock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts