Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a kit to turn my 89 9&1/4 axle into a full floater? I've seen them advertised for rear D44's and some others but never for the 9&1/4, does it exist? Can it be made?

Thanks

·
Registered
30,099 Posts
no they dont make one but with enuf money anything can be made

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
DODGEBOYS said:
no they dont make one but with enuf money anything can be made
but with that much money, you could buy and install a real full floater axle, and probably a locker and new gears.

Duane

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roger that Duane. I was trying to steer clear of that, not to mention I got a free limited slip for my stock rear and just bought a set of 5 lug wheels for it. Just wanted that full floater security. Maybe in a few years some company will realize that they've been overlooking our 80's model dodges???

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
well, i know that if a full floater kit comes out, it would have to be pretty cheap, as in cheaper than a dana 60 or 14 bolt and the cost to put it in, before i would buy it.

afterthought: a c-clip eliminator would be nice though.

Duane

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, that would at least make axle changes twice as fast, without losing the fluid

·
Registered
30,099 Posts
those they do make / c-clip eliminators

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
poorpowerram89 said:
Does anyone make a kit to turn my 89 9&1/4 axle into a full floater? I've seen them advertised for rear D44's and some others but never for the 9&1/4, does it exist? Can it be made?

Thanks
Unless you are constantly breaking axles, there really isn't a need to convert to a full floater. Leave your axle alone, it's pretty stout enough for most applications.

If you are breaking axles or expect to go beyond the capabilies of your 9.25, you're better off swapping for a Full Floater Dana 60 and eat the cost for rims and your limited slip. The Dana 60 can be found for dirt cheap, and you can get a locker for a low price. As for rims, yes it'd be expensive, but 8 lugs is better for holding larger tires on than any light five lug.

Ed

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
yup c clip elimintaor is available. some welding required i do believe. only to axle tubes tho.

they chop the 9.25 ends off and weld on 8.75 or ferd 9" ends and use those bearings.

i believe pulling an axle becomes as easy as 4 bolts. but im not sure. i do know unless all 4 bolts break your axle/wheel will stay intact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts