Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, can anyone give any ideas to save gas on my current rig. I have a 78 rc w/ 33's, edelbrock 1905 q-jet,flowmasters, and k&n air filter. The reason I need tips is becuase despite all of these new parts, my car is still only getting about 3 mpg in regular driving conditions. I have a new fuel filter, and am not leaking any gas. Wtf is going on?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Buy lighter wheels, get into a real involved tune up, which will involve making a host of changes including carb jetting, thermostats, timing, reading plugs, checking the motor to see if every cyl is hitting right, plug wires, dist adv is working correctly, tuning a carb can take all day sometimes, between making runs and reading plugs and making changes and trying it again and seeing what changes were on the plugs, could also be your foot is the problem, maybe your tire psi is low, or you got extra heavy tires and wheels

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well its 3mpg if you dont account for the fuel gauge not working correctly "maybe"--im not sure--i havnt let it run outta gas, but somethimes my car responds different from day to day--im pissed, and i dont know why?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
When you put those 33in bfg's on did you re-calibrate your speedo? That would make a big difference in how your figuring the milage if the speedo is off from changing from the orignal tire size, from like 29 or something!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Ok, don't get pissed but you don't need a fuel gauge working to check your gas mileage. Top off your gas tank. Note the mileage on your odometer. Drive about 50 miles at 60 mph on the highway. Pull into a gas station and top it off again. Note the gallons it took to top it off and the mileage you traveled. Do the math and get your mpg. Find out what your gas tank capacity is. Once you know your mpg then you can use your odometer as your gas gauge until you fix your gas gauge. Verify that you have a problem before you think you have a problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, i did what u said, but i found something funny, my tank holds 30 gallons of gas??? anyway... its getting about 10mpg, how good is that?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Yes, I think mine does too or could be 35, I forget.

I probably get around 10 in town but then again I drive with a heavy foot.

1978ramcharger said:
ok, i did what u said, but i found something funny, my tank holds 30 gallons of gas??? anyway... its getting about 10mpg, how good is that?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.