Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can pick up a new grommet for the fuel tank vent on my 1975 W200?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My Google efforts didn't turn anything up, but I think I found a reasonable solution.  The hole in the tank is just under 5/8" in diameter.  I took a commercial wheel valve stem for wheels with a 5/8" hole, and cut the rubber down to the internal steel neck, then twisted the steel neck out.  A little WD40 and I was able to work the rubber into the hole in the fuel tank.  Then the 1/4" vent line slipped in with a little more WD40 sprayed on the grommet.  I think this will work.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,248 Posts
you're not planning on reusing that corroded piece of tubing are you? That thing is going to fail.

·
Super Moderator
8,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks bad in a macro photo, but it's just surface rust.  The tube is solid, and it's just a vent.

·
Super Moderator
14,248 Posts
You'll start to develop pinholes. I know it's just a vent, but you have it out now. If nothing else I'd wire brush it and coat it in a couple layers of epoxy sealant (check out JB Weld Marine epoxy, $5).

·
Registered
8,145 Posts
ToxicDoc said:
You'll start to develop pinholes. I know it's just a vent, but you have it out now. If nothing else I'd wire brush it and coat it in a couple layers of epoxy sealant (check out JB Weld Marine epoxy, $5).
I'd fix that to.
Everything else looks so nice... why not?
Good job on fixing that grommet. My son and I were discussing just today the fate of all the new grommets made in China. We didn't have nice things to say about that topic. ;D

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,683 Posts
That's a great solution. I was going to suggest that now that you have the grommet out, you can take it to the auto parts or marine parts or hardware stores and match it up with something the same or close. Your solution is brilliant. I agree with the Doc. It's easy to make such a creature with a pipe bender and a flare tool but sealing it would work also. Might as well get a new hose also.

·
Registered
1975 W100 Power Wagon Adventurer Sport 318 727 NP203 3.55
207 Posts
I'm a little late but on mine it was replaced by a PCV grommet from a Late 80s Toyota and a new 90 degree fitting that had the same diameter on both sides. The same size as the larger side of the factory one.

·
Super Moderator
29,767 Posts
Nice fix, might want to keep an eye on it to make sure the gas doesn't do funny things to the rubber.

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,683 Posts
Do a test - put some gas in a cup and drop a valve stem in it and leave it there for a while and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Man that chiiiiinaaaaa rubber is horrible.  New shock bushings dry rotted within a year

·
6,683 Posts
You racist. Lol

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
LMAO 🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
This is gonna be my new fuel tank filler neck vent.    I'm up to 27 dead chipmunks.  They ain't chewing this!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,248 Posts
Jeffy45 said:
This is gonna be my new fuel tank filler neck vent. I'm up to 27 dead chipmunks. They ain't chewing this!!!!!!
They'll find something else to chew, like vacuum hose, coolant hose, ignition wires. Don't ask how I know...

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I know you know I know

·
Registered
171 Posts
Old thread I know, but thought I'd add to it since I tried this and if it comes up in searches. I had high hopes for the valve stem fix, but I've tried it twice and twice it's pulled out. I hate dropping the tank.

I have a 1977 Ramcharger, so different tank but I think it's not working for me for two reasons:
  • It sits too high, so the vent elbow hits the body when I lift the tank, putting pressure on it (may not be an issue on the truck)
  • The grommet groove width is not deep enough, there isn't much to hold it in the tank so it ends up coming out
I've been searching around with little luck, but just ordered three different kinds to see if any of them work. I ordered these three, if they work I'll post up.

If anyone has had luck finding a good replacement for the stock vent line fuel tank grommet, I'd love to hear what you found so I can do this one last time. Ugh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts