Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered a major fuel leak coming from my gas tank. Hoping it was a rotted hose, I dropped the tank only to discover a major crack across the top.

It's a 89 RamCharger with the 35 gal tank.

The tanks are discontinued at the dealer. JCW does not have tanks for FI, where do I look for another tank?

Also here's a new one. I found a plastic ball floating around inside the gas tank. It's too big to have been dropped down the filler pipe. What do you suppose it's in there for?

Thanks.

·
Registered
537 Posts
This is the perfect time to upgrade. 45 gallon tank made for the Ramcharger. Northwest Metal Products.
Make:
Dodge

Model:
Ramcharger & Trail Duster (not for fuel injection) 1974-1993

Part Number:
DRR-1

Type:
Replacement

Size: (Gallons)

Price:
$473.50

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The crack is about 8 inches long and is just above the half way mark. So instead of parking the truck and being without, I patched the tank with some sort of putty (resitant to gas) from Checker and put it back in with a new fuel pump & strainer. I have not filled the tank yet to verify that the patch works. I'll find out this weekend when I pack up and head for the mountains.

BTW, yes my RC is fuel injected. And I discovered that the tank has been replaced before. The tank had all sorts of junk yard markings on it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I fixed one once using a plastic welder. Awesome tool! Worked great! I am pretty sure JCWhitney sells them. They give you different rods for different plastics, including ABS (what the tank is made of). It's like a super-powerful hot glue gun. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.