Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the consensus on fuel supply line check valves, like this one do you think they will restrict flow??

Attachments

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
Properly they do not restrict flow. I have several on the vehicle that I may only use once a month or so. They do prevent all the fuel in the line evaporating. I did have one where the rubber disk swelled a bit, and blocked all the flow, so I went through, and replaced the rubber disks with brass disks. If they have rubber in them, make sure it is ethanol compatible.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rubber listed is viton,and through hole in ball is .203.  (Less than 1/4") thought it might cause a restriction.                                                                             
                              I moved my filter back further on the frame rail. Thought I might install it right after the filter so I can change it or take it out if I have any problems. What do you think??

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
If your Ramcharger is TBI, you shouldn't need anything like this.  The fuel pump will pressurize the fuel system every time you turn the key on.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
Yes, good catch, I also would not bother with one on a TBI setup. I have them as close to the carb as I can, due to the heat, and ethanol in the gas causing the carb bowls, and lines evaporating in the dry air we have here.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok copy that. Everyday I try to learn something new. Or at least try to find out what everybody thinks about something.😎

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
In theory, the valves in the fuel pump will also keep fuel from flowing backwards. You need to determine if it is flowing back into the tank, or evaporating.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would say at least evaporating, and at worst leaking back or maybe bad fuel psi. After 8hrs I have to pump the crap out of it even with ethanol free 91 octane. Been thinking about an electric pump. I don't drive the truck very often. I might just try a check valve first for the price. I'm guessing it just splices in the fuel line?

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
I would just test the pump and replace it if necessary.  No point in reinventing the wheel and it's the easiest thing to do.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
That would be evaporating. Fuel flowing back to the tank, cannot pull fuel from the carb bowls. A check valve will also not stop the gas in the bowl from evaporating. I would start with a thicker gasket, and maybe even a heat shield between the carb, and intake.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is why i asked.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
if you have a carb you need not worry about keeping pressure at the carb while its not running , IF you have throttle body tbi then you want to see it maintain pressure at the throttle body , for those "its fuel injected , it starts instantly" starts .

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
A simple solution that I did on my brother in laws 95, is to add a momentary push button that powers the pump. He just holds the push button on for a few seconds, then starts the truck.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats a cool idea

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Or just turn the key on and listen for the pump to come on and stop.  If it does that and it still takes a long time to start, something else is wrong.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
Well, without pulling the pump, which would have been a big hassle, I did not know what else to check for. Two or more cycles of the key, did not fill it enough to start right away. The button saves lots of starter cranking time.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The idea is to hold fuel rail line pressure in fuel injected vehicles. Or fuel supply line pressure. If the check valve in the fuel pump actually works properly you would always have constant line pressure and it would not bleed down. 10 minutes of line pressure and then bleeding down fuel pump good. Actually not the check valve is no good it should hold constant pressure.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
the system ( pcm) will run the pump with each "on" of the key for a second or two , BUT it will do that only twice , the third and subsequent tries the pump will NOT run again UNTILL it gets a crank signal , then the sequence restarts , 2 times .

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Copy that

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.