Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a new fuel pump. O'reilly auto parts has a mechanical pump that bolts right in place of the old one for $19.95. Should I get it, or should I go with an electric? The electric is only a few bucks more, but would it be better than the mechanical?

·
Registered
29,688 Posts
the electric would be better BUT you hafta get a block-off plate for the motor [GM,s use the same size plate] and you hafta mount the pump as close as you can to the tank to have it work right / my $0.2 is if you have the time do the electric if not its a 10 minute job to replace the old one

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'Preciate it. I think I'm gonna go mechanical, just to keep things simple. All I really wanna do rigth now is actually get it running, then I'll worry about add-ons. Thanks for the quick answer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would go, and am now switching to a mechanical pump. I would only go electric if I had to. (I'm losing the Holley Projection, and going to Edelbrock 1400.)

If you do go electric, I would recommend getting an Inertia Switch out of a bone yard Crown Victoria. It is in the trunk on the driver’s side. It would shut down the electric fuel pump in a bad wreck or rollover, and might keep you from getting hurt or killed in a fuel fire after an accident.

I believe that some of the newer cars and trucks keep track of the oil pressure to determine if the fuel should be cut, but the switch should help you to get this done without a bunch of BS. I have also heard that NASCAR only goes mechanical for this reason, but I don’t know first hand.

Later,

Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts