Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k..
I can't figure out how to get the damn fuel pump to go back in. I cant get it to fit up. I event took the old one and tried to put it back in figuring if it broke when I was prying on it then so be it but it wont go either. any ideas? I see where the armature has been making contact on the old one but I can't fell the piece that actuates it when I stick my finger in the hole. My brother was cranking over the motor with the fuel pump out to see if the oil sending unti was leaking. could this have something to do with why I cant get it in?
Mid_evil_thymz

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I was considering an electric fuel pump anyway. I have the pump cover plate already from another motor. Wich aftermarket that i can get at discount or autozone would be a good choice?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I 've changed pumps on my 440's in the past and itz either been a breeze or nightmare. I believe itz all about what position your engine is stopped at e.g. TDC/BDC this affects the stroke on the pump hence pressure on the shaft.(my .02) Kev :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Yup. Make sure the rod hasnt slipped or is slipping down so its stopping the lever from going to the proper place. If thats ok then try turning the engine by hand to get a half or less turn and see if the rod will go up farther when the cam has moved.

·
7,995 Posts
Make sure the cam is on the low side of the lobe...this means the fuel pump push rod will go ALL the way in to the engine. Pull the push rod out throught the access plug and clean it off and then apply a light coating of stiff grease...works every time! :)

EDIT...The stiff grease will hold the push rod up against the cam while you carefully replace the pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.