Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I kinda drive a tank (90' RC) and I love every minute of it, but is there any way I could squeze a few more MPGs out of it?  Sure a lot depends on how I drive but, I was considering different gears, tire pressure and size, and Lockouts, does any of that offer a significant improvement in MPG?

Can you guys think of any others that would help?

BTW its a TBI 318.

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
I know you don't want to hear this but stock tires, or get your gears in line with the way it was from stock with the tires you are running now.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Currently it is close, and I like the way it is tire wise (31x10.5 with 3.55 gears).  3.91s or 4.10s are planned for this fall. 

·
Registered
858 Posts
What are your mpgs? Theres a few people I know that get 14-16 on the inerstate yes they
were tbi 318s one had 3.55s and 33 the other guy had 31 3.21s. town driving was 9-11 mpgs
everything was in tune motor trans and the front end

·
Premium Member
13,530 Posts
my '93 TBI 318/518 get's 15 mpg (hw) and it has 3.55's and 31x10.5s.  I think that's pretty good all things considered.  I'm contemplating a gear change to either 3.91's or 4.10's, but that'd be mostly to enhance the truck's ability to get around town easier, and It'd allow me the option of going to 32's.

·
7,250 Posts
This question seems to come up about every week. Before I try to give any advice you need to provide more info. Without it, I am not going to waste my time on it.

Mostly, what is your mileage now.

Chris

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10-12 city right now, and a good 15 highway.  It's about normal for these trucks, but I'd like to improve the milage.

·
Premium Member
13,530 Posts
I'd say the best way to improve mileage is to improve the engine's inherant efficiency, in other words make more power and make it easier, with the same cubic inches you already have.

I'm thinking the same things you are, and what I'm considering is porting the heads, getting the upgraded intake manifold from Hughes Engines, and maybe a bit more cam.  I want to try to enable the engine to function more efficiently, which will typically translate into more efficient power, requiring less throttle to do the same work, and then better mileage.

Synthetic fluids everywhere, some internal engine efficiencies, 'smallish' tires (a 31 is a great size), and gearing that puts the engine at an RPM that is both efficient and powerful.  The efficient yet powerful part is the trick.

- Sam

·
7,250 Posts
silvermopar1 said:
10-12 city right now, and a good 15 highway. It's about normal for these trucks, but I'd like to improve the milage.
Thanks, exactly what we needed :)

Sam has covered it. What you are getting is about normal for that year of RC. About the only way to increase from there is what Sam said.

Chris

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not to open a can of worms, but have any of you guys tried anything to improve fuel atomization, or mixing of fuel with the air?

If you look around on the net, I found something interesting about a guy that got a ford galaxy up to around 100mpg.

http://www.rexresearch.com/ogle/1ogle.htm#over100

Something to think about.

·
7,250 Posts
I would be very wary of anything on the internet or tv that claims to improve fuel mileage. None of them work as well as advertised, if at all. I have see many of these things come and go over the years, none worked.

Chris

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very true Chris, but a liquid fuel burns while a vapor fuel would explode right?  If that is true, couldn't we get a lot more power out of a gallon of gas by vaporizing it?  More fuel efficiant vehicles are lighter, but they also seem to burn the fuel up better don't they, thus less wasted gas, so if we could use all of the energy held in gas up we would have lower emissions and better performance with our old Carbs and Throttle Bodys right?

I wonder what would happen if I simply heated the gas up to say, 200*F before it reached the TB.  When the gas left the injectors it would be close to becoming a vapor and thus mix with the air better giving a better mixture and more surface area to burn or explode quicker upon ignition right?  Where the TBI system is under pressure, I wouldn't have to worry about a vapor lock right?

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
Silver, this has been done a few times. The government put an end to a few that I know of back in the 70's.

It makes sense and is true, the more exposed area of the fuel molicule there is the better it burns.  ;)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On my 90' TBI I'm considering a couple things, first would simply be heating the fuel before it goes into the TB, would that have any adverse effects on the TBs parts?  I'm thinking primarly of the injectors here.  Second, a lot of fuel returns to the tank since the pump flows more than enough fuel, would the heated fuel cause any problems in the tank?  Would the computer adjust timing and injector pulse width enough to keep me from pining or running to rich/lean?

Beyond that, I've seen videos of lawn mowers running on vaporized gas, rather than just hot gas.  This would seem to be even more efficant, yet I strugle with a few parts of this idea.  Vapor will burn faster right?  From what I can tell, the lawn mowers run quite well on the vapor.  I'm thinking that the vapor mix would be lean and perhaps produce more heat? (though in theory to get more power from the same quanity of gas we must reduce the amout of energy wasted in the form of heat, so wouldn't it run cooler with a leaner mix if it were a vapor?)  Would the timing need adjusted?  And what damage can you forsee being done to the engine? 

·
Registered
712 Posts
mopar65pa said:
Silver, this has been done a few times. The government put an end to a few that I know of back in the 70's.

It makes sense and is true, the more exposed area of the fuel molicule there is the better it burns. ;)
I hate it when my fuel molecules are exposed :eek:

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
slohand65 said:
I hate it when my fuel molecules are exposed :eek:
LMBO! ;D

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol, seriously though, do you guys have any thoughts on this idea, and what may be a problem/reason it may not work?

·
Registered
223 Posts
the only way to improve mpg is make a engine more efficant . right? A naturally asperated engine is 60-70 percent ,  forced induction can get 70-90 percent.SO i believe add a turbo or blower, intercool it, and drive like a grandma=better gas mileage.But thats not the real world cause if u add a turbo your going to pin it to the floor and smile at 4 mpg.But damn that whistle sounds good.....

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
Earl said:
the only way to improve mpg is make a engine more efficant . right? A naturally asperated engine is 60-70 percent , forced induction can get 70-90 percent.SO i believe add a turbo or blower, intercool it, and drive like a grandma=better gas mileage.But thats not the real world cause if u add a turbo your going to pin it to the floor and smile at 4 mpg.But damn that whistle sounds good.....
LMBO! ;D

silvermopar1 said:
Lol, seriously though, do you guys have any thoughts on this idea, and what may be a problem/reason it may not work?
It will work but you will not get 100MPG out of our trucks. if you get 30mpg you will be doing good. ;D

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't have any plans for 100mpg but oh... How sweet it would be to get even 20-30 mpg in town with the space, style and size of an RC.  Heck, I'd drive it all day and night, the only reason I park it is because I run out of gas before the night is up. 

Besides, I have more fun building and trying something out than I do sitting here on the computer because I can hardly afford $60 a week in gas.

Would standard rubber fuel line hold up with gas inside it over 200*?  I would tend to think so, but then again  {noclue}

1 - 20 of 48 Posts