Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got an 84 ramcharger, sitting on a 78 frame, making it fulltime fourwheel drive. It has a stock 318. It does have headers, dual exhaust, Edelbrock intake, and holly 600 carb. if i put 20 bucks in it. i can only go about 30 miles. 20 bucks usualy give me almost half tank. The truck does have a 3inch body lift, with 33 inch ground hawgs. oh, and 355 gears. What can i do for better fuel mileage. It does also have new fuel filter. Thanks

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
something is EXTREMELY wrong. i figure ur only getting around 3 mpg (give or take a few). u have some serious problems. are u leaking any gas anywhere? the 3.55s and 33s dont help, but it shouldnt hurt that bad.

Duane

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
another thought, is ur tcase in low range?

Duane

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
I'm running 3:55's and 33 and am still getting 12 to 15 MPG. 318 78 RC full time 4X

G

·
I've got 3.55's with the full time system and a 440 and I am getting about 8-9 most of the time. I am also running P235-75R-15 tires. You either have a leak somewhere or are in bad need of a tuneup and a carb rebuild.

Chris

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
you have got to have a fuel leak......no if's and's or buts.

I ran 38.5 tires with a ft case, tired 318 engine, and 3.23 gears for about a year and a half, and I got around 10 mpg with a 2bbl, and 11 with a 4 bbl.

You have a serious leak, or you are running so rich people must think you are the bug fogger man !!!

I'm running a strong 360, with 39's, and 4.56 gears now, and I get around 8-9 mpg on the highway......

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
What kind of driving are we talking about? Do you drive it 30 miles straight, or just a couple miles per day? I can get 3mpg in my truck from "yard driving" a few minutes/miles at a time. Check the plugs, what do they look like? Does the engine run smooth and make good power? Get a timing light and check your timing. I would put a vacuum gauge on your engine to check for good vac as well. How about the choke? Is it sticking on? Is the aircleaner snorkel free from restrictions, is the vapor door (in the air cleaner snorkel if you have one) opening when the engine is running? Check the obvious cap, rotor, plug wires (especially for wires out of sequence). If your engine is healthy, it shouldn't be too hard to get your mileage up a bit.
william

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well the engine has like 150,000 miles on it, and it runs real good still. It has new plugs/wires/cap/rotor. All new fuel line, and it doesnt leak, im sure of that. Im thinking i know what the problem is though, It had a 2 barrel carb and intake on it when i got it, it wasnt that bad on gas, but it still sucked it. The carb took a crab so i put the 4 barrel stuff on it. I know the carb is messed up. A buddy of mine had it on his truck, and it smoked like hell. So i put it on mine, and it smokes alittle, but im almost possitive that the carb needs tuning bad.

I need to do something lol, cuz i blew my car up the other day, and now im gonna be driving my truck to work everyday. so if my g/f. I will be taking it 47 miles each way to work on the expressway. And she takes it 15 miles each way on Northland Drive. So, probably by Tuesday, im gonna be broke, lol

G

·
What you describe is carb related. Find a shop and have them tune it...if it is a holley, most likely a blown power valve.

@

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea that is what i have been told. A buddy of mine is gonna rebuild it for me, so this week sometime i should be able to know if that was the problem or not

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No sean, there's that other holly 600 sitting in my dad's garage that i took from Todd, im gonna have rob rebuild that one.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Ohhh I see. Well at least I know what's wrong with the carb now.

Sean

·
Registered
174 Posts
yep, also a little note on the engine, I dunno if you baught this used or are the original owner, so I can't tell how well the engine may have been maintained or not but-- I baught a RC that felt great, had power, no problems. I just yanked the 318 with 124k miles (which was still plenty strong mind you) last week for a 360 conversion. I did only get around 11 mpg with it, but didn't mind. DUDE it had issues the size of Texas, that I couldn't see or tell til I started tearing it apart... it's just the sturdyness of the RC, compensates for certain problems i guess... at least in my case... Anyhow, I'm betting money your're problem can get fixed certainly with a carb adjustment/replacement.

Chief

G

·
Also, if your truck is making oil it might be putting gas in the crankcase. I have seen the diaphragms in the fuel pump blow causing this condition. Check to see if the oil level increases or your oil smells like gas.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the oil does not smell like gas. I know the engine burns oil. but thats it. I thought the bad fuel milage was because of the carb,when i had the 2 barrel on it, it didnt get near this bad fuel milage, and the 4 barrel was screwed on a buddy's truck, so thats y i thought the same problem was that carb. I will try some things you guys say, and let you know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts